New member with a 1968 DS1(rigging pics pg 6-7)

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: New member with a 1968 DS1

Postby igotit » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:36 pm

GreenLake wrote:I was able to buy one that had the clip to hold it. Not sure they make it any more, but it is really convenient for quick connect / disconnect. Otherwise the same as in your link.

I think when I replaced mine, I could only get one like you are showing, but I cut off the stem at the very bottom and filed the last 1/4" flat to fit the slot on the bracket, like the one you have.

Good info.....i know i can make it work....but my clip is broken.
Right now im considering the davis 10 model has a lil clip to bolt on the side of the mast.
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/davis-in ... ecordNum=1
igotit

Postby GreenLake » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:09 pm

If that works for you (including quick connect/disconnect) then OK. I just found it easier to adapt to the existing clip (which was not bent out of shape like yours).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby igotit » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:05 pm

Ill see what i can do,quick disconnect would be the best thing.my boat wont always stay with the mast up,mostly trailer n travel......will have to be romoved for travel/trailer.
igotit

Postby GreenLake » Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:54 pm

I launch weekly, or sometimes twice a week, so quick disconnect is a must.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby tomodda » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:48 pm

Nick:

I was looking at the map of Chauvin today.. wow, some complicated waterways! Which of your local bayous or lakes are you sailing in? I hear you on the shrimpers, I'm always wary of commercial boats. Do they keep a lookout or a radar watch? You may want to hoist a radar reflector (they're cheap and light) while anchored. Likewise, you can simply hoist an anchor light, something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Vont-Hurricane-E ... B018L2WM86

Can you anchor where it's too shallow for big shrimp trawlers? As for your overnighting ambitions, here is some food for thought (check out the last photo):

https://sites.google.com/site/dinghycruising/

Get yourself a bug bivy for sleeping on the shelf. Outdoor Research makes a nice one:

https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/bug-bivy-242834

and there are cheaper ones as well. Rig a tarp or a tent to keep the rain off and you're set.

Lastly, a windex at the top of the mast is great, I also find these quite useful:

https://www.amazon.com/Davis-Instrument ... 0000AY6TC/

You put them on the side stays, as high up as you can reach, and they show the wind that the sail is "feeling" which isn't always the same as what is at top of the mast. Also easier to see while sailing, although I'm also constantly glancing upwards to see what's going on over the entire mainsail. There is no "right answer" here, it's whatever works for you. My light-air sailing trick, back from when I smoked cigars, was cigar smoke. Always shows you the exact wind direction, with side benefit that the smoke keeps mosquitoes and annoying people away from you. Unfortunately, cigars don't keep cardiologists away from you, but that's a whole other story!

Anyway, seems as if you are well on your way to your first sail, all the best!

Tom
tomodda

Postby igotit » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:14 am

i launch at the little calliou firestation,head down bayou petit calliou (petit means little in french).i pass through 3 bridges travel about 4 miles to get to lake boudreaux.i mentioned that lake was about 2 miles diameter.....but its really close to 4 miles wide by 6 miles long,has a few smaller shallow bays and lakes merged into it.but only about a 2 sq mile area has consistent 5ft depth.the edges of the lake and merging bays depth vary from 6" upto 6' of depth.we ae surrounded by marsh,beautiful little bayous,canals....ect.
the vid i posted was in lake boudreauxs north side,it was the roughest side of the lake that day.winds stay consistent,gust arent a problem unless a squall hits you,but you can see a squall coming for miles before it hits.
asfar as staying away from commercial shrimpers,near impossible here,most small boats run what we call skimmers.skimmers can work in waters down to 2ft water depth.and at night most of the shrimp are in the shallows.so id be better off sleeping in deeper water.
most inland boats dont run radar in that little lake,they rely on vision,and in some cases a gps plotter that tracks where they passed already,or want to pass.
i have a similar camping lantern i use for my kayak at night,i just wanted a permanent light.....and figured a cheap,compact led will do.
ive already bought a cheap heavy duty poly tarp to get me thu,but was considering a good canvas tarp as opposed to those $300-500 specific boom tents.boom tent would be great,but moneys tight right now.
i suppose if i had $500 to invest right now,id probably look into a new main with reefing points and a diy furler for the jib.......and i havent even lifted a sail yet :D
btw...thanx for that article on the daysailor camping,really enjoyed the read and see the setup.
i do have a nice hammock with bug net....lol.
igotit

Postby tomodda » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:12 am

Sometimes I think of rigging a hammock from the mast to some sort of stand that I'd rig up at the Stern. I'm sure you can figure something out. Polytarp over the boom works fine to keep the rain out. I used to camp cruise with a Hobie Cat, we'd prop it over us like a lean-to at night. Just to say where there's a will, there's a way. On that note, scraps/ribbons of cloth (preferably nylon) on the stays make fine wind indicators. Ive seen one guy with a bit of coat hanger holding up magnetic tape ribbons at the masthead for his wind indicator... Anyway, you've got your boat, you've got your building skills, don't need to spend much money.

Check out Greenlake's post on sailing fundamentals, it's very good!
tomodda

Postby GreenLake » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:36 pm

I hope to be able to add more to that thread soon.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby igotit » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:09 am

A very informative and useful thread....thanx guys
igotit

Postby igotit » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:19 pm

i spent my weekend fishing and motored a total of 53 miles,and burned roughly 2 gal of gas.
3 adults loaded with fishing gear we still cruised at 5mph.
1 of the guys pulled in a 42lb black drum,not good for eating when they get above 30",so it was a catch and release.
everyone loves this sailboat,i get compliments on it all day.its not a common sight around here.
i did get info on a free 1966 ds1 with trailer 40 miles away,guy just wants it gone.i sent a message waiting to hear back.i very excited,and hope i was the first to state that ill take it.
i figure worse case its a parts donor.looks like it has the 1 piece mast with no step/hinge setup.
and a side not,while fishing i found a compass in the ds1.....had no idea it was lighted untill the rear rubber cap fell off and the light unit came out.installed fresh batteries and i have to say im impressed with how bright it is.

Image20200627_142330 by Nick Pellegrin, on Flickr
Image20200628_190424 by Nick Pellegrin, on Flickr
Image20200628_202827 by Nick Pellegrin, on Flickr
Image20200628_202833 by Nick Pellegrin, on Flickr
Image20200628_190816 by Nick Pellegrin, on Flickr
Image20200628_190755 by Nick Pellegrin, on Flickr
igotit

Postby igotit » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:59 pm

had some free time last night,put up the mast,shrouds and boom......main halyards slack in traveler temp just to hold it for the pic....lol.
i have the boom held up by the main halyard.....assuming this is what most people do.when its time to raise the sail,lower the halyard then clip it to the sail.once the sail is up the boom raises once sail is fully up.
i did raise the jib,have a look at my pics and tell me if she looks attached correctly (ignore the panel nail acting as a pin keeper.....will not sail that way)
right now the jib halyard is on the port side of mast,main on the starboard.....is this correct?
and my lines for the jib,do the pass outside the shrouds or on the inside?

not all my pics are uploading thru flicker,ill add more as soon as they act right.
and please feel free to correct me,and school me.

Image20200708_135406 by Nick Pellegrin, on Flickr
Image20200708_133116 by Nick Pellegrin, on Flickr
Image20200708_133108 by Nick Pellegrin, on Flickr
Image20200708_133059 by Nick Pellegrin, on Flickr
Image20200708_133054 by Nick Pellegrin, on Flickr
Image20200708_143453 by Nick Pellegrin, on Flickr
Image20200708_143220 by Nick Pellegrin, on Flickr
Image20200708_143929 by Nick Pellegrin, on Flickr

and what does this lil gadget do.....tightens up somethingin the jib.id like an understanding on its use,and when to adjust/use it,or if it isnt needed for beginner use.
Image20200708_143549 by Nick Pellegrin, on Flickr
igotit

Postby igotit » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:45 pm

onto the main!
surprisingly she lifted easy,no troubles for my first time.the last 3ft of hoist was a lil tight....but guessing thats normal due to lifting the weight of the boom.and the vang....ill have to research exactly what to do with it.
asfar as i can tell everything is hooked up properly.
ive found a few lose screws on the boom and lose rivits on the mast.ill look into those repairs soon.next on the list is reinstall deck hardware and rear deck traveler that came with it.
at this point i can go back to stock traveler or rear setup......not sure which is better or has a mechanical advantage.
raising the sail was easy considering im currently 70% disable from a neck and shoulder injury a few years ago.
i raised and lowered both sails ( not at the same time due to gust) 4 seperate times to see if my arms could take it.
i did have a 5-8mph breeze in the close haul position.im sure on the water it wont be as easy once i factor in the boats motion and rocking.
i also need to come up with a cheap diy tiller tamer,steering tension to keep me on course while i put up sails,or make adjustments.
but sofar im excited and cant wait for first sail.

also my mail says ds 2 on it,does that means its designed for a ds2?

Image20200708_154816 by Nick Pellegrin, on Flickr
Image20200708_155720 by Nick Pellegrin, on Flickr
Image20200708_155822 by Nick Pellegrin, on Flickr
Image20200708_155550 by Nick Pellegrin, on Flickr
Image20200708_154906 by Nick Pellegrin, on Flickr
Image20200708_154853 by Nick Pellegrin, on Flickr
Image20200708_154836 by Nick Pellegrin, on Flickr
igotit

Postby GreenLake » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:31 pm

igotit wrote:...i have the boom held up by the main halyard.....assuming this is what most people do.when its time to raise the sail,lower the halyard then clip it to the sail.once the sail is up the boom raises once sail is fully up.

Only time I use the halyard like that is when I'm on a guest dock at my destination and the sail is down, but the boom still attached. For trailering, I roll up the sail while in the slot of the boom and then take both off the mast. Usually, I just put the gooseneck into the mast slot and let the end rest on the transom while I unroll the sail. Connect the head, feed it up the mast slot and the boom comes up when needed. Then pull down the boom to the stop (adding tension) and then I belay the boom downhaul. Done.

Actually there's the Cunningham. Your sail has the grommet for one (6" above the tack). I make a loop in a line, hook one end over the horn cleat on the mast, through the grommet, down to the cleat and belay. Adjust tension based on wind strength to keep the wrinkles out near the mast. Yours has the small block next to the vang attachment and the silver V cleat on the cuddy, so that's how it's to be used (easier to adjust under way). If you tie a hook in the end of the Cunningham, it's faster to connect to the sail.

When you see creases right at the mast in the bottom half of your main you know that you should have tightened the Cunningham (leave loose if less wind/no creases).

igotit wrote:i did raise the jib,have a look at my pics and tell me if she looks attached correctly (ignore the panel nail acting as a pin keeper.....will not sail that way)
right now the jib halyard is on the port side of mast,main on the starboard.....is this correct?
and my lines for the jib,do the pass outside the shrouds or on the inside?.

Main to SB jib to P is what I have. There's not a rule, I think.

The jib sheets go inside the shrouds.

Looks like you have a wire to tension the luff of the sail. You tighten that, I guess to take out any creases. If you have scallops between the hanks you need to tension the halyard; this little wire would not affect those, I think). Observe the sail shape in different wind conditions as you tighten it (and ditto for jib halyard tension). For racing you might tweak it more frequently for cruising you'll find a setting that works for that part of the day. You'll get the hang of it.

igotit wrote:and what does this lil gadget do.....tightens up something in the jib.id like an understanding on its use,and when to adjust/use it,or if it isnt needed for beginner use.r

You seem to have a leech line. Easy to use. Set sail with it slack. You will find the the leech of your sail will flutter in a bit of wind, no matter how you trim your jib sheet. Just tighten enough to stop the flutter. You do want to set that because flutter will destroy the sail.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby GreenLake » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:34 pm

Last picture: outhaul - looks rigged fine, needs to be tight in higher winds to flatten the foot of the sail.

PS: you sure that you have the boat pointed the right way for a "tractor pull" ? :D :D
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby igotit » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:07 pm

i did have a line with a snap type hook on it,i routed it the way i understood you explain it.
have a look and let me know what ya think.if its routed correctly,ill replace this line.this one is old alittle big for the pully on the cabin top.
but im certin this is how this 1 was rigged before i pulled it down.everything was kinda tangled and thrown in the boat when i bought it.
ill go back n search my pictures,i could be wrong.....lol.

(edit)looking back at pictures when i first stood up mast,the blue line with hook definatly was on the pully on mast,but wasnt routed to the deck.

Image20200708_175011 by Nick Pellegrin, on Flickr
Image20200708_175016 by Nick Pellegrin, on Flickr
Last edited by igotit on Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
igotit

PreviousNext

Return to Day Sailer I Only