New DS1 Owner - General Questions

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: New DS1 Owner - General Questions

Postby rminelli » Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:20 pm

I am looking to buy a daysailer to start racing. I have found a 1981 spindrift that appears to be in very good condition. I have heard that the original DS1's were the best choice for racing but the few I have looked at have been in rough shape. My questions are how was the general build quality of the spindrift boats and were they typically close to on weight, and the particular boat has a tabernacle mast, can that be replaced with a keel stepped mast on the spindrift boats.
rminelli

Postby kokko » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:58 pm

One problem with mooring is water collects in the lowest point near the mast. The drain holes in the transom are a couple of inches higher so the hull does not drain
DS1 Truelove
kokko

Postby GreenLake » Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:51 pm

I'm aware that this is an older thread, but I saw that you are still active here on occasion and was wondering how your DS1 has worked out for you and whether you ended up racing and how that worked out for you.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Previous

Return to Day Sailer I Only