auto bailer

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

auto bailer

Postby aigroup » Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:16 pm

New Boat.
Newbie Owner.
This has been siliconed shut.
Has the autobailer been problematic?2734
aigroup

Re: auto bailer

Postby RobH912 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:57 pm

Airgroup - I can't help you even though I have a SLI DS with the same auto bailer... fortunately have never had enough water in the boat to think to try it.

Have you searched on auto bailers to see if anything comes up?
Rob

DS1 #2444
Cape Cod
Eastham, MA
RobH912

Postby lemsteraak » Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:37 pm

Yes, the ones on the SLI DS1's have a life. I believe they are a "Super Shute" bailer, plastic with opaque rubbery seals. The seals harden and shrink so they become pretty much useless for keeping water out. You can buy seal kits but it is a fool's errand, buy the whole thing and use silicone grease to get a proper seal and they they work well. As for getting one, it may be a little tricky as they aren't a mass market item but are still available in England. Several popular classes in England use them so they are still around. Here is a link to a video showing how to change one out - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWQsd88KzKA

Hope this helps, I would recommend using a rather non adhesive compound when putting one of these bailers in. There is a strong chance you may have to take it out again, don't ask me how I know

- Rich
lemsteraak

Postby aigroup » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:06 pm

thank you both. I'll send a following note once I've gotten into this further.
aigroup

Postby GreenLake » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:19 pm

Use a polysulfide caulk or butyl over a silicone one.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Day Sailer I Only