Pulling Flotation Tank Plugs

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Pulling Flotation Tank Plugs

Postby JDSail » Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:14 am

Howdy,

newbie question of the day ... do I just apply inordinate force to remove the old flotation tank plugs or is there some secret to it? I think I've attached a photo of the offending item. Many thanks in advance for your patience and assistance.

JD
Attachments
DS flotation plug.jpg
DS flotation plug.jpg (118.48 KiB) Viewed 5379 times
JDSail

Re: Pulling Flotation Tank Plugs

Postby GreenLake » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:37 pm

The plug handle is supposed to turn, taking the pressure off the rubber plug. If it's seized, try the usual.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby GreenLake » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:47 pm

Looks like your floor could use a bit of TLC, some of the failures / cracks seem to go to the laminate. I just did mine with gelcoat. Scraped sanded loose stuff off, then used a spreader to apply a layer of gelcoat (the one with wax mixed in, so it can cure in air). To make extra sure it cures, spray with PBA when it's just starting to set.

I used white gelcoat, but added a few drops of a tinting agent (the universal kind, that can be used with oil paints, because I didn't have the special ones for gel coat). That gave a nice gray. If done correctly, will hold up to abuse better than paint, and you apply it in a thicker film.

I used Hi Bond with wax; you'll need a quart do to the cockpit floor on a DS1.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby JDSail » Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:22 pm

Hi GreenLake,
the handle turns but not much happens. I'll try various combinations of turning, pulling and cursing. That should do the trick. Regarding the hull/bilges, there is lots to do on this old girl. My plan is to sail her this year 'as is' as much as possible and if warranted do a good bit of work on her in the fall. One off beat project is to see if I can find someone local (Bancroft, Ontario) to fabricate an oarlock for the rudder supports that doesn't put too much pressure on them, in order to scull the boat. Then I can reassign the sweet 1967 Johnson 5 hp she came with.

Thanks for the feedback and for moderating this group. I've been lurking for a while and finally joined.

Cheers ... JD
JDSail

Postby GreenLake » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:49 pm

Go search the forum (internal or external search) for oars / oar locks. Some people have thought about this topic a bit in the past.

Sailing first, maintaining as needed is always a good approach: that way you know what will work best the way you are using the boat.

Glad you decided to come ouf of the cold as lurker.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby JDSail » Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:14 pm

One plug extracted. Max force, min cursing. The rubber has no spring back left so loosening the handle made no difference. Now to look for parts or a replacement. I’ll try D&R as they are well represented here. The foam is damp so another fall project is access ports and pool noodles.
4CE4393F-0843-463D-AC99-FF30C7A15CCD.jpeg
4CE4393F-0843-463D-AC99-FF30C7A15CCD.jpeg (128.45 KiB) Viewed 5354 times
JDSail

Postby GreenLake » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:27 pm

No wonder! :)

They are a standard part, rather than DS specific, so you can check any marine store or online seller for "drain plugs" looking for the correct dimension. But checking DR Marine first, is always good.

Usually intended to go into a cylindrical hole, not a hole in a thin surface, so they don't "lock" like this when they get older.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Themanfromuncle » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:00 pm

You'll be pleased/surprised at how much weight is in that waterlogged styrofoam. get it out ASAP.
Themanfromuncle

Postby Fly4rfun » Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:23 pm

Walmart has them in sporting goods, very reasonable,
"Sail Aweigh" 1966 DS1 #2675
Fly4rfun

Return to Day Sailer I Only