New member with project DS1, hello! (A restoration thread)

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: New member with project DS1, hello! (A restoration threa

Postby GreenLake » Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:53 am

Very, very nice!
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby tomodda » Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:02 am

Brian:

Are your floorboards really 1.5 inches thick (nominal 2x2) or did you resaw them a bit thinner? 1.5 seems excessive. I really like the small width of the planks though, very shipshape. I wonder how it would look (and weigh!) in "Maryland Mahogany," aka PT SYP? Mental wheels are churning....

Tom
tomodda

Postby Brianl289 » Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:18 pm

Sorry I should have clarified! I started with 2x2 strips. Everything was cut down and modified pretty heavily for each purpose. The side panels are 4 strips glued up then resawn and planned to be about 1/2" thick. The floor strips are about 3/8" thick and have a small support frame underneath. Alaskan cedar is a bit less dense than mahogany so the overall floor/side project is pretty light. If I had to guess maybe 50 lbs total on all the wood work? I could lift that floor out pretty easy if needed. The wood came with the boat so I worked with it but a darker wood would also look fantastic. These days I didn't want to spend any money on lumber, especially teak!
Brianl289

Postby GreenLake » Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:41 pm

Those thicknesses are pretty close to what the originals are; but the original floorborards are 3.5" wide with rounded edges. My floorboards come in 4 sections, total 40#.

The lighter wood and narrow strips give your boat a more modern look.

The one thing that you seem to not have emulated is the "shelf" under the transom. I no longer bother with the floorboards (a bit of weight savings is nice in mostly light airs, but they are also stuck in a partly finished state). However, I do use that shelf; while it adds weight in the back where you don't want it, it's nice to have some place to get to from the skipper's position w/o having to ask the crew to hand you stuff. I keep the rear dock line and anything that I need to get to underway; the space under the coamings being dedicate to paddles and spin pole.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby tomodda » Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:24 pm

Indeed, the light colored wood is really nice. Quite an upgrade for our old DS'es!

@GL, I'm still tinkering with my aft lazarette, as you point out it's good to have SOME things back there, so as not to have to hand it back from under the cuddy. My winter project, besides general upkeep and repair, is to make the boat a bit more "cruising friendly." Not installing a portapotty and sink (ye gawds forbid), but certainly rationalizing storage into something better than "throw it all forward." Always good to steal ideas off of others, so I'm following Brian's refit with great interest (and envy!).

T
tomodda

Postby GreenLake » Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:38 pm

tomodda wrote:@GL, I'm still tinkering with my aft lazarette, as you point out it's good to have SOME things back there, so as not to have to hand it back from under the cuddy. My winter project, besides general upkeep and repair, is to make the boat a bit more "cruising friendly." Not installing a portapotty and sink (ye gawds forbid), but certainly rationalizing storage into something better than "throw it all forward." Always good to steal ideas off of others, so I'm following Brian's refit with great interest (and envy!).

Tom, I started a new thread with a reply.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Brianl289 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:23 am

well we finally got the boat on the water! I went out with the previous owner of the boat who is a good friend of mine and we cruised around for the afternoon and just took it easy. Was hardly any wind. Still have some adjustments to make to some rigging as you can see the jib in the photo wasn't tight. We ended up figuring it out later but it wasn't a very windy day so it wasn't a big deal. Need to modify the main sheet rigging too but it's all good. The good news is the boat was completely dry inside and we didn't have any part failures or problems! We ended up putting 7 adults and 1 baby in there comfortably and the boat did great. I don't think I have a photo of it at the moment but I did end up installing a small bilge pump/battery setup in the transom just incase we took on water for any reason. The lake we were on doesn't allow gas engines so we had a couple paddles and it worked out just fine for getting back to the dock. The next day I was on craigslist and scored this super cool 67 Clinton-Sears 3.5hp motor for when we go to a big lake. It weighs in at about 36lbs and has a 2 gal aux tank. Grabbed it for $200 which I thought was a steal, so I'm gonna paint it to match the boat as well. Overall a great day and can't wait to get her back on the water.
Attachments
IMG_7492.JPG
IMG_7492.JPG (186.57 KiB) Viewed 40499 times
IMG_7079.JPG
IMG_7079.JPG (214.57 KiB) Viewed 40499 times
IMG_7045.JPG
IMG_7045.JPG (207.86 KiB) Viewed 40499 times
Brianl289

Postby GreenLake » Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:10 pm

Nice to see her on the water. When it's flat water and not that much wind, as you discovered, the DS can be sailed with quite a few people.

The DS is a small boat, so I would tend to advise to go slow with adding any permanent installations like bilge pumps. If it's just about water you may be taking on while underway, a manual system might be more suitable than something that requires you have electricity when you need it.

For leaving the boat unattended, like on a mooring, the situation may be different. Or, if you want to prepare for a scenario where you continue to take in water while single handing, but don't have a hand free to bail occasionally.

As for the motor, I'd recommend you practice sailing your DS in and out of any and all situations (other than dead calm), so you're not stuck if you run into any issues. Including docking (or anchoring/mooring) under sail. (My experiences sailing on other DSs that had combustion engines are rather mixed when it comes to that).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby johndcbuilder » Sun May 28, 2023 5:21 pm

Hey there, nice looking refit going. Where did you find the rub rail replacement? I’m working on a DS1 refit and will be installing a new tub rail if I can find it, haven’t had any luck finding a simple white vinyl like you have. [img]

Thanks
johndcbuilder

Postby GreenLake » Mon May 29, 2023 12:55 am

John, looks like something went wrong when you tried to include an image. See the Forum Info section on instructions on posting images.

Also, the best source of replacement rubrails for the DS 1 that we know of is DR Marine. Give them a call.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby johndcbuilder » Mon May 29, 2023 2:51 pm

Thanks green lake, I’m trying to Figure out the images trick. Should I start a new post with my refit or add to this one?
johndcbuilder

Postby GreenLake » Mon May 29, 2023 8:39 pm

John, since you ask. I would suggest that every boat gets their own thread. That way each story has it's own space.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Previous

Return to Day Sailer I Only