transom drain plug

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

transom drain plug

Postby aigroup » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:17 pm

Spoiler alert. New boat with learning owner.
I took my boat out today for the first time to make sure all parts were in working order.
And I think they are.
The rigging is very simple and doesn't seem to have any of the modifications I'm reading about on this blog, but clearly I need to replace the rigging.
Before launching I made sure to put the interior transom plug in.
Hadn't thought I would need to plug the exterior transom hole - because I thought this was only to exhaust the water transmitting through the interior transom drain port.
Clearly this seems not to be the case as when we got the boat back on the trailer a tremendous amount of water exited the exterior drain plug.
So the exterior plug needs to be sealed as well?
aigroup

Re: transom drain plug

Postby GreenLake » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:48 pm

aigroup wrote:Spoiler alert. New boat with learning owner.
I took my boat out today for the first time to make sure all parts were in working order.
And I think they are.
The rigging is very simple and doesn't seem to have any of the modifications I'm reading about on this blog, but clearly I need to replace the rigging.

There's standing rigging (the "wires") and running rigging (the "ropes").

Which of these have you concluded you need to replace? Standing rigging should be replaced every decade or other decade. Just so that there isn't hidden corrosion that will make it fail. You have a recent boat, from the picture, and it would seem that you would have the beefier 1/8" size and perhaps it's recent enough that it's before the first replacement.

aigroup wrote:Before launching I made sure to put the interior transom plug in.
Hadn't thought I would need to plug the exterior transom hole - because I thought this was only to exhaust the water transmitting through the interior transom drain port.
Clearly this seems not to be the case as when we got the boat back on the trailer a tremendous amount of water exited the exterior drain plug.

I'm not familiar with the details of those recent DS1s. Is there a double hull, or not? If yes, then that needs to be able to drain and perhaps they did make the cockpit drain (inner) go into the bilge to drain from the outer one. You'll be able to figure out more and faster by investigating what you have than we can supply remotely (unless someone shows up who happens to have a boat from your model year).

Does the "exterior" drain appear to be set up to have a drain plug? Is it even inline with the interior one? Or is it not a double hull, only a flotation chamber in the transom? In that case, you definitely do not want to take on water there. Have a look and give us some more details.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby aigroup » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:05 pm

Thank GL.
The standing rigging seems fine. I was referring to the running rigging.
This a '92 LSI boat.
Have not been able to find an LSI owners manual.
CC did provide me one from their boat, but it seems their flotation tank setup is different.

The exterior and exterior drains are aligned.
I don't believe this is a double hull - without further further builder how am I able to confirm this without opening a hole in the hull?
The exterior drain port does not appear to be threaded.
The interior and exterior ports have a flange that I will try to remove to capture additional information.
thanks for your help.
aigroup

Postby GreenLake » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:30 pm

Double hull: it should be simple to tell whether the cockpit sole is in fact the inner surface of the hull. The latter is slanted, while cockpit inserts tend to be level.

But you may be correct. Then that means that the water really came in via the rear and was kept in some compartment. We'd have to figure out where the water was "stored" that had seeped in. Looks like your transom has a wide area that may be a flotation tank - is it connected to the seats? Do they form a single U-shaped flotation chamber? And does that have any drains somewhere?
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby aigroup » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:46 pm

the transom and seats seem to be connected.
More investigation needed here.
aigroup

Postby jalmeida51 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:12 am

My DaySailer1 built by Rebel 1981 is doubled hulled. If you leave out the external drain plug the inner hull will flood. There is only 1 drain plug and it is located in the same place as on your transom. My owners manual warns you that the plug must be installed before launching. Any boat will flood without the drain plug installed. John
jalmeida51

Postby aigroup » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:18 am

thanks John. I believe I validated the need to secure the exterior plug. Appreciate your input into this continuing education effort.
aigroup

Postby RobH912 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:49 am

Aigroup you have an SLI DS, and good to see that you got first sail in

Double hull and both plugs, internal & external to the cockpit should always be in place when on the water.

As you have found if not in place the potential for allowing water into the double hull cavity is highly likely.

There is also a plug in the front of cockpit that drains the cuddy cabin back into the cockpit. This plug should always be in place also.

These three plugs are integral to the double hull safety design and all work together.

My first sail or two in my DS were a little sketchy as well... gets more fun each time.
Rob

DS1 #2444
Cape Cod
Eastham, MA
RobH912

Postby aigroup » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:04 am

Rob - thanks for the clarification. Appreciate the help
aigroup

Return to Day Sailer I Only