New DS1 Owner! Outboard Q

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

New DS1 Owner! Outboard Q

Postby Anstigmat » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:59 pm

IMG_4122.jpg
IMG_4122.jpg (226.98 KiB) Viewed 3747 times

Just picked up a DS1 here in Maine. It's in good overall 'user' condition. The price was fair at $950, on a trailer with some spares.

Does anyone have a recommendation on an outboard for it? I don't wan't to spend a ton, but I also need to be able to move the boat if need be...
Anstigmat

Re: New DS1 Owner! Outboard Q

Postby GreenLake » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:08 pm

Congratulations to your new boat and welcome to the forum.

Look in the "Miscellaneous" section. We've discussed motors for the DS a number of times. Or search the forum for "motor" or "outboard".
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby igotit » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:03 am

Congrats on being a new owner,plenty info here to learn.
Im running a china $400 4 stroke outboard says 4hp,but info i gathered online its more like 2-2.5hp.
It gets me 6-7mph solo,with 3 adults 5mph.
Ive got over 60 miles on this motor,90% of my ride is wide open throttle.
A new honda 2.3 can be had online for $6-700 plus shipping.

Im curious aswell on others motor choice,hp....and speed.
Im happy with my results....but would love to get atleast 8-9 mph.....that way i could back off the throttle and still cruise at 6mph without having the motor working at full load.
Cant wait to see what you choose,some members simply use a electric trolling motor,if my ride from dock to the lake was 1 mile or lesss....id use trolling motor.but i have a 4 mile ride before i can think about hoisting a sail.

My motor is identical to this 1

https://www.amazon.com/Enshey-Boat-Engi ... oke&sr=8-3

And what it can do on a not so perfect day.
https://youtu.be/7MZemzLnL-Q
igotit

Postby Anstigmat » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:59 am

Thanks for that response! Looks like it's moving you along quite well. I also like that the gas tank seems to be in the motor unless I am mistaken.

Could be just right considering I mostly want something for getting around while in a harbor or in emergencies. I'm going to keep looking as well, you never know what will come up on local deals.

Cannot wait to get sailing.
Anstigmat

Postby igotit » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:02 am

Yeah the gas tank is built in,holds 1qrt of fuel.full tank last abount an hour at full throttle.
Its a great lil motor for the price.
I found a used honda locally but the guy wants $500,not sure i can justify paying almost full price,when mine works so well,and works exactly like the honda.
igotit

Postby GreenLake » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:34 pm

When selecting an outboard, also consider that the more weight you put further aft, the worse your DS will be sailing: when the transom is submerged more, the DS definitely gets slower.

I actually performed measurements on this using an EP-Carry electric motor (a true lightweight) which drove the DS at around 3.1 knots. By shifting the fore-aft balance I could get that speed to 3.5 knots. That was me sitting on the foredeck -- not something you'd do routinely, but some heavy motor at the transom, or even a motor mount, would have some real level arm.

Which is also one of the reasons why I and several others here opt for electric propulsion, despite the compromises in speed and range: we don't like the compromises in sailing performance. While some sailing areas and types of sailing, such as expeditions style cruises, may require a different set of compromises, for many people the main reason is for maneuvering at the dock and to get out of a windless patch. If that applies, putting a heavy motor at the back is the last thing I'd recommend.

If you do need the range and ability to power against the wind, you might consider the Lehr propane outboard as an alternative. Runs for about an hour on a cartridge, and if you go cruising overnight you can take a couple and use the alternating in your motor and your cooker. As noisy as a gas outboard but no smell!
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Day Sailer I Only