Under bow access frame?

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Under bow access frame?

Postby ShallowSeas » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:12 am

Sorry, I have no idea what to call this thing. I was working on a loose bow eyebolt, and needed to get behind it. The holes were too small to fit through, so I removed this frame, shown set aside in the image. It is held in place by just few small screws, and cannot possibly be handling any required structural load.

The question is, do I need to leave this in place?

Sorry if this has been addressed, but I did my due diligence of 30-45 minutes searching the DS I forum. Which is never a problem since I always learn something. Thanks!

ShallowSeas

Re: Under bow access frame?

Postby Piffle4179 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:09 am

That cuddy front does provide some structural strength to the boat and deck. Class rules require you to have that in place or to replace it with a fixed support between the underside of the foredeck and the floatation tank in the bow if you plan on racing. You will notice if you walk on the foredeck without the support you will see an increase in the flexing of the foredeck, thus weakening your boat. Good luck with your project.
Piffle4179

Postby ShallowSeas » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:43 am

Thanks. I'm not worried about class racing, so that simplifies it a bit for me. But of course I am interested in the structural ability of the deck to hold my weight. Half the screws were loose enough to fall out, and as installed I do not believe this part was doing much towards this goal.

I will probably remove (and save) this part, and put in something else that supports at least as well and allows easier access to the front.

Cheers.
ShallowSeas

Postby GreenLake » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:57 pm

It not only holds up the deck, but stiffens the overall structure and does a good job even if seemingly not held on very securely. The way it fits in, the screws just hold it in place and don't take any or much of the load.

That space in front is awkward to get to and I don't know what to really use it for (except for a long cruise I know I'd want the extra stowage). In the meantime, I figured it a good spot for my growing collection of fenders. They al have a short length of rope which I let hang out, and that way they are easy to get out w/o having to actually reach in.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby ShallowSeas » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:22 pm

The PO had floatation bags up there. I stuck a little anchor to meet the USCG powerboat rules. Not that I have any plans to ever use that anchor, and if I did, I would need to first attach a line.

I suppose it is easy enough to remove again should I need to climb up there for another repair.
ShallowSeas

Postby GreenLake » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:49 pm

precisely.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Day Sailer I Only