Year Two of Owning a DS I

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: Year Two of Owning a DS I

Postby GreenLake » Fri May 21, 2021 2:02 pm

Doug wrote that he thinks he has 3/16" rigging - that would be enormous. (Missed that on first reading). John is right, what you want is 1/8th and if you still have 3/32, it's time to upgrade.

The only other method I know for quickly tensioning a rig is a lever on the forestay - haven't used one or seen it used, but this is what it would look like: http://www.drmarine.com/proddetail.asp?prod=DS803

(I'm just not very familiar with setting up boats that don't use a mast jack - I know I've done it some other people's boats, but memory is a bit hazy on the details, so you may need input from someone with a more comparable setup).

I don't see why you couldn't use a mast jack to raise the lower portion, and with it the tabernacle a bit to add tension to the rig. But I don't see the parts listed anywhere.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby reedd » Fri May 21, 2021 3:39 pm

So my fractions are a bit rusty. Pretty sure I have 1/8th inch rigging. Using my digital calipers, I measured 17/128 as pictured here.

Assuming some imprecision, that's roughly 16/128 which is 0.125 or 1/8th. So, I've got the right diameter rigging. Whew. The 3/16ths was measured where that steel collar is.

I think a mast jack would be the most simple way to adjust this, going forward. I'll give Rudy a call and see if mast jacks can be added. In the meantime, if anyone has added a mast jack, I'd love to hear about your experience.

Doug
reedd

Postby GreenLake » Fri May 21, 2021 6:00 pm

I'm sure any reasonably competent local machine shop could make you one.

3-4" of coarsely threaded bronze rod @ 1" diameter, welded to a base plate, a circular bronze nut about .75" thick (and as wide as a the mast bottom) with holes in the side to insert some kind of handle to turn it. (On my boat, the handle is a repurposed nail punch). And a 3/16" thick bronze washer so the nut doesn't rub on the mast base as you turn it. That's all there is to it. (Bronze not stainless steel).

The "base plate" should match your current mast step, or they may be able to use that one.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby LGsailer » Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:46 pm

Reedd-

Quite late to finding your thread but just wanted to share my experience with the CB and CB handle on a similar year DS1. The construction is a bit odd, where the CB has a metal plate built in on the port side, but the square part of the CB handle is on the starboard side - not sure how that passed the engineering check as it leads to the issues both you and I have encountered.

Anyways I was able to "resquare" the hole in my CB that was caused from years of use, we used some Marine RX Epoxy from West Marine which worked quite well. Additionally we added shims between the CB and the CB trunk on the port side in an attempt to push as much of the CB metal plate onto the square part of the CB handle.

More details and some great help from Tom and Greenlake can be found in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6238

Wish you the best luck and look forward to following along on the forum!
LGsailer

Postby Brianl289 » Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:32 pm

Once the rigging for the mast is in place and it's time to raise the mast jack, how tight are you trying to get the lines?
Brianl289

Postby GreenLake » Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:24 pm

Someone, a long time ago, wrote here that the goal was to be able to strum an "F" note on the shrouds. (Not sure which octave). I always check the tension by trying to pluck a note from the shrouds and when the sound changes from a rattle to a note, that's when I stop. I would add a turn or almost two in higher winds.

I once measure with a Loos gauge and I'm staying below the number of turns needed to get to the recommended tension, by those same 1 - 1.5 turns, because winds are often not that strong.

Sailing in 10-12 knots, the leeward shroud is allowed to a bit loose. After you've used all these criteria, you simply remember the number of turns to get there and go by that, I guess.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby GreenLake » Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:26 pm

PS: if your rigging has a mast jack, but also turnbuckles, you might adjust the latter so that the shrouds have just enough slack to be easily removed w/ the mast jack all the way down.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Previous

Return to Day Sailer I Only