Rudder mod for DS 1?

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Rudder mod for DS 1?

Postby Afader » Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:24 pm

I just got a DS1 and discovered the rudder does not lift fully up. I live on a very shallow bay so the 7" draft was a major factor and I'm looking to modify it. I was told there are forum threads about this, but I can't find them. Any help or links to existing threads appreciated.

Thanks
Afader

Re: Rudder mod for DS 1?

Postby GreenLake » Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:12 pm

Do you have the stock rudder? That one projects about 1-2" below the transom when folded up. With correct fore/aft balance, the lowest point of your boat should be forward of the transom, so that that additional 1-2" in the back really ought not to be the lowest point.

Normally, based on the painted waterline, the transom is intended to be immersed to a depth of 1-2". That means, the stock rudder would maximally come to 4", not 7". If you sit all the way in the back, and have a heavy motor strapped to the transom, your boat will squat, and the rudder may indeed become the lowest point.

That said, some people here have modified their rudders so that they both tilt beyond 90 degrees and have a pivot point that sits higher than the original design (the latter means the rudder can't be used for racing, just in case you care).

Here's one design viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4956

Additional threads can be found with a search like "site:forum.daysailer.org/forum rudder head" (use a search engine, not the search inside the forum).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Re: Rudder mod for DS 1?

Postby GreenLake » Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:26 pm

PS: there are also threads on building a rudder + head from wood; that can be adapted to change pivot location. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3572
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Day Sailer I Only