Restoring my DSI

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Restoring my DSI

Postby tKhrist » Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:17 pm

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased DSI Hull # 9208, Class # 1577. I believe she is late 1963-early 1964. I got her from a local university auction with the trailer, a spare mast (Proctor), and no sails or usable rigging for $450.

I have limited sailing experience in the form of learning to sail and race lasers at a local sail club a few summers back. That same summer I also learned how to sail a Wayfarer decent enough to take friends out a few times. I've always been interested in sailing and in the last few years, building/working on boats. I've followed three weekly boating building YouTube channels for a long time now and have been eager to get my hands on an old boat and some tools. Well I'm finally at a point in my life where I can do that, so here we go.

I started creating YouTube content on my channel to document my experience and provide references for both others seeking assistance, and myself. I have never worked with fiberglass and have very little experience with finish work, but I love learning and doing.

Please follow along with me as I work towards getting this boat back in the water. I really hope to hear a lot of comments about what I have done and should do based on the immense amount of experienced shared across this forum. This place is truly a fantastic resource.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvnPFccGX1yPIUO7TK_BQ2JBLTZqz6Yn2

Cheers!!
tKhrist

Re: Restoring my DSI

Postby GreenLake » Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:24 pm

Thanks for sharing. Hope your refit goes well and gives you lots of fun on the water.

Feel free to post specific questions here as well. Asking questions here means the larger DS community can benefit from the answers for a long time to come.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby tomodda » Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:28 am

Welcome to the Forum and DaySailer insanity!

From your video, the masts are fine, they'll straighten out once you raise them and set up the standing rigging. Get rid of your jumper stays (the upper diamond) on the aluminum mast as soon as possible. The boat is perfectly repairable, but also remember to pay attention to your trailer. If nothing else, re-pack the bearings.

Your biggest expense is going to be new sails (even if you buy used from someone). If you have the budget ($1,200ish in 2019, no idea today), I highly recommend MHB Sails - https://www.mhbsailmakers.com/. Otherwise, a set from Roly Tasker will run you about $850ish, and they're about the only "cheap" sailmaker I'd trust.

Too bad you're in Michigan, otherwise I'd be pestering you to sell me your Proctor Mast :). Looks like a beauty, right down to the Magic Box to tension something or other (Jib Halyard)? How do you get that box thru the partners? Maybe detachable? Some Previous Owner was definitely racing this boat.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to following along with your build. Don't hesitate to shoot any questions over to everyone here on the Forum.

Tom
tomodda

Postby tKhrist » Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:02 am

Thanks for the replies so far!

tomodda wrote:

I appreciate your encouragment. Definitely welcome since most of this is new to me. I assumed the magic box is for the boom vang.

-tK
tKhrist

Return to Day Sailer I Only