Spindrift Day Sailer 1

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Spindrift Day Sailer 1

Postby ajay73 » Sun Jun 11, 2023 10:05 am

I'm considering a 1984 Spindrift DS. Does anyone have any knowledge of the quality of these boats? Should they not be considered. I read one post that the Day Sailer Association has tough standards as to the construction quality of the boats and that Spindrift/Rebel Industries wasn't up to it.
ajay73

Re: Spindrift Day Sailer 1

Postby GreenLake » Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:30 pm

This would be news to me. Anybody care to shed light on this issue?
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Bob Damon » Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:47 am

From a racing perspective the boats are heavy but well made. One issue however is if you go over, there is a void between the deck and hull sections and water can get in that space. There is a void between the inner and outer hull and water will get in there making the boat very heavy to right. Otherwise it is comfortable and has plenty of room. Hope this helps.
Bob Damon
Class Measurer

Postby GreenLake » Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:48 pm

That's good info. I know that some people have used bladders, pool noodles or sealed empty plastic bottles to reduce the available volume in imperfectly sealed cavities in a variety of different DS models. I don't see why that technique should not be applicable here.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby jalmeida51 » Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm

I owned a 1981 Rebel DaySailer 1 for about4 years. I never had any rot problems. I did ad extra floatation under the seats. I did a lot of upgrades to the rigging. Replaced the standing rigging with 1/8 shrouds and headstay. With turnbuckles. Upgraded the spreaders. One problem was where the tabernacle was bolted through the cabin roof the bolts almost pulled through the roof. I blame that on 3/32 rigging. It seemed that rigging would loosen up so it had to checked. I made a slainless plate under the cabin roof.This stopped the bolts from pulling through.

The boat was fun to sail, not sure about racing it due to the weight? I think it had less problems than the O'Days of the same vintage. If you are planning on keeping it in the water I would do the upgrades to the rigging.

I wish that I never sold it. It was a great boat.

John
jalmeida51

Return to Day Sailer I Only