NEW Member w/ ‘87 Precision Daysailer 1 & infinity

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

NEW Member w/ ‘87 Precision Daysailer 1 & infinity

Postby HardArgh » Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:43 am

Hello all!
My name is Brad.

I just acquired a 1987 Precision Boatworks DAYSAILER 1.
The hull, sails, mast, teak wood, rudder, & rigging all appears to be in excellent shape.
(Although, I am unfamiliar enough to not know for certain)
(Also, I was given yard sticks of 3 different lengths to use as mainsail battens. Pretty sure these weren’t factory equipment… )

I’ve piloted several vessels of equal or slightly larger size on lake ponchartrain in Louisiana.
But, I’ve only piloted vessels already moored and ready to sail.
I’ve no experience with stepping the mast or any associated rigging.

I am a retired rope access rescue technician and accomplished rock climber.
So, ropecraft and knots are second nature to me.
I’m simply ignorant to their specific applications in this context.

My initial internet search for an owners manual led me to a few confusing videos on stepping the mast on boats that weren’t the same as my model and to this forum. I’m hopeful the latter will prove more educationally lucrative than the former.

I am grateful for any help, direction, wisdom, or insight.
HardArgh

Re: NEW Member w/ ‘87 Precision Daysailer 1 & infinity

Postby GreenLake » Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:17 pm

Welcome to the forum.

My very best advice would be for you to settle in for an extended bout of reading the old posts in this forum. There is simply a lot of useful stuff already out there.

If you go to the Rigging and the Seamanship sections there are some pinned topics that should cover some background and common details. But other sections also have some topics that are generally useful, even though they haven't been pinned yet.

For the mast you would need to let us know whether it is "keel-stepped" or "deck-stepped" (in other words, it has a hinge or "tabernacle"). That makes a difference.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby HardArgh » Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:16 pm

GreenLake wrote:Welcome to the forum.

My very best advice would be for you to settle in for an extended bout of reading the old posts in this forum. There is simply a lot of useful stuff already out there.

If you go to the Rigging and the Seamanship sections there are some pinned topics that should cover some background and common details. But other sections also have some topics that are generally useful, even though they haven't been pinned yet.

For the mast you would need to let us know whether it is "keel-stepped" or "deck-stepped" (in other words, it has a hinge or "tabernacle"). That makes a difference.

Thank you. I will do some digging.
1987 Precision DAYSAILER 1
HardArgh

Postby GreenLake » Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:40 pm

The battens in the DS sail are different lengths depending on which pocket.

You can make your own. There's a discussion here somewhere.

What you are looking for is something that fits the pocket. If it is a bit flexible and not too heavy, that would be best.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Day Sailer I Only