Painting Cockpit

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Painting Cockpit

Postby Guest » Sat Dec 21, 2002 8:38 pm

My 1967 Daysailer I is in need of paint in the cockpit,
and on the deck. Can anyone recommend a brand paint, and more importantly a color for the cockpit and deck.

White for the deck? Cockpit?

Thanks,

Doug.

Doug MacPherson (dwmacpherson2000-at-yahoo.com)

Postby Guest » Sat Dec 21, 2002 9:33 pm

I had a couple gallons of flat, light gray house paint undercoat I got at the dump. Used it on my house deck and stood up well for a year. Boat was a mess of old blues inside, scraped what I could and applied the gray, all over the interior rough finish of the glass mesh (except for the smooth inside sides and stern of the cockpit). I like the non skid quality of the flat for the floor (this paint was really flat, flat), and makes a good neutral color. Also stripped the deck of multiple blue paints, but I may leave it in the original light blue, which has shaded to the light green in large areas, Hope the sun may bleach it, Something in the gel coat, paint remover will not touch it???.. Deck also has factory, inscribed planking marks which are a nice touch for a vintage boat.

John C. (ghampe-at-rcn.com)

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 22, 2002 1:19 pm

Doug, I painted my DSI's cockpit with Interlux single-part polyurethane. Brightside I think is the brandname. It came out well, and has lasted about 4 years on boat that gets heavy use. Raced a lot. I followed the method discribed in Don Casey's Sailboat Refinishing. It's an excellent source on what to use and how to do it when paiting boats. It can be found in most marine stores. If you use any sort of paint with a gloss be sure to use a flattner. Again this is explained in Don Casy's book.

Ed Hutchinson

Ed Hutchinson (edhutchinson-at-worldnet.att.com)

Postby Peter McMinn » Thu Jan 16, 2003 6:58 pm

The interilor of my DS1 was painted with a product called Zolotone (sp?) by the previous owner. It is extremenly durable, heavy duty stuff. Probably an elastomeric product. Havn't noticed any cracks, just a little wear around the busy parts of the boat. Intend to get hte same product when the time comes.
Peter McMinn

Return to Day Sailer I Only