Centerboard Problem?

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Centerboard Problem?

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 23, 2003 9:32 am

I have purchased a 1968 DS1 with a cast bronze handle on the centerboard trunk. In the handle mechanism there is a single tooth on the edge of the circular pivot that seems to hold the centerboard up. Should the centerboard be completely retracted into the bottom of the hull when in the locked up position(with the tooth)? In the locked up position, my centerboard still hangs below the bottom of the boat about 6" - 8". If this is a problem how do I go about fixing it.

Scott Elstad (elstad-at-mindspring.com)

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 23, 2003 3:04 pm

My DS1 does the same thing -
Ron
DS1- #3103

RJ Swenson (rswenson-at-aisol.com)

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 24, 2003 9:17 am

Ron,
Is this normal or is there some way to adjust it to keep it all the way up? Would this be a problem when sliding the boat off the trailer or when beaching the boat?

Scott (elstad-at-mindspring.com)

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 29, 2003 8:39 am

The handle has a square plug that fits into a square hole in the centerboard. The fit between the two could be loose due to wear in either, or both. Also, the square "hole" in the centerboard could be loose in the board...it's a metal disk glassed into the board. New handles are availiable, as well as new centerboards, not sure about just getting a new "hole" for the centerboard. Might be able to weld-repair the handle square...but that might be as expensive as a new handle. Repairing the centerboard requires removal of it...search this discussion group for ideas on doing that. I modified my trailer so a section of one crossmember could be unbolted to allow the centerboard to be lowered and removed.

steve parsons (saabdrver-at-aol.com)

Return to Day Sailer I Only