DS I mast

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

DS I mast

Postby Guest » Tue May 13, 2003 7:46 pm

5/13/03
Hi! I'm getting ready to launch my DS 1 and was wondering about the mast. I bought the boat last year and the mast has jumper struts (baby stays?). It is not a tapered section, and I was curious if the jumper setup could be removed, or if it would weaken the section too much. Also, anyone have an idea of the year? The little plate in the boat has hull #7538, and class #1276. One of the old mains that came with the boat was from Boston Sails, dated 1966, with a sail number of 759. Any info would be appreciated. Andy Baker, Union Maine.

Andy Baker (gbaker-at-midcoast.com)

Postby Roger » Tue May 13, 2003 11:08 pm

According to the HIN chart http://boonedocks.net/daysailer/buildchart.html it could have been built anywhere between 1957 and 1972, but Rod will likely know more precisely. He tracks such things, and may be able to nail it down a bit closer.
Roger

Postby Bob Hunkins » Wed May 14, 2003 8:32 am

Hi Andy,
Lots of folks have removed the jumper stays from the masts with no problems.

Have a good time sailing the boat!
Bob Hunkins
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Wed May 14, 2003 10:41 am

A hull number of 7538 and class# 1276 would be a boat from the early 1960s I'd say (maybe 1962?). The number on the sail should be "1276" so the main that you have must be a replacement. You have the 7538th O'DAY Sailboat built, and the 1276th Day Sailer.
I think several racers have removed the jumper-struts and wires, later boats didn't have them anyway and I'm not sure that O'Day used a heavier extrusion on the masts without them.

Rod Johnson, SUNBIRD (rjohnson24-at-juno.com)

Return to Day Sailer I Only