new sails for DS1

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

new sails for DS1

Postby Guest » Sat Aug 16, 2003 8:22 am

I have a '67 DS1, #3059, in very nice condition. It seems to have the original O'day sails which look to be almost new. However, I see fluttering in the leech third of the sails in a stiff breeze (13+).

Two questions: Does this mean I need new sails, and, if so, what are the best racing sails for my boat? It has the original one piece mast.

Thanks,
Jeff

Jeff Smith (jsmithouse-at-core.com)

Postby Bob Hunkins » Tue Aug 19, 2003 8:43 am

Hi Jeff,

The Day Sailer Association newletter, the Day Sailer Quarterly, has advertisers for sailmakers who build sails for racers. One way to tell if your sails are old is to sail against other Day Sailers, get the boat tuned to them and go from there. There are several good sailmakers for The Day Sailer, and it will depend on who you talk to which is best.

I recommend you join the class association.
A downloadable membership application is available on my website:
http://www.bobhunkins.com/dsaapp.PDF

It's in adobe acrobat format. The free Acrobat reader is available from www.adobe.com

Yuo can also contact:
Patricia Skeen, Secretary
1936 Danebo
Eugene, OR 97402-1135
(541) 689-2190
e-mail: skeenjp@aol.com

Best regards,
Bob Hunkins
DSA President
Bob Hunkins
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 20, 2003 11:18 pm

You may solve the fluttering problem by having a leech cord installed. It will give the trailing edge of the sale some structure so it won't flap in the breeze.

Barry (kellbtl-at-aol.com)

Return to Day Sailer I Only