Centerboard

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Centerboard

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 20, 2003 12:26 pm

New question. Seems like many of you have problems with your centerboard sticking and not wanting to come down all of the way. Mine is different, it wants to come down partially no matter how hard you pull up the handle. I have even added an extra cleat to tie off the rope i tie it up with. There is a little catch or lever at the base of the centerboard housing. I have tried moving it both ways, but it seems to do nothing. What is it suppose to do? When the boat is on the trailer, I can have someone push up on the centerboard while i pull the handle and it goes all the way up.

David Riley (driley-at-ngc.edu)

Postby Peter McMinn » Mon Oct 20, 2003 5:05 pm

The little catch, hmmm. I've been puzzeling that one over, too. As far as I can tell, it was intended to slip into the notch in the pivot assembly, suppossedly to keep the board down (up?). Anyway, mine doesn't work either.

I know this doesn't fully address your question, but it let be a cautionary tale.

While I don't have a problem keeping the board down, I used to have a problem getting it down. This, I have found, was due to many years of overstressing the bronze handle so that it twisted enough to misdirect the torque. The result was that the board was forced against the wall of the trunk as it swung down. Eventually the handle broke, putting me $100. further in the hole.

Moral: don't over-stress that handle!
Peter McMinn

Postby Peter McMinn » Mon Oct 20, 2003 5:12 pm

One more thing, David:
You said, "it wants to come down partially no matter how hard you pull up the handle". I believe the proper function of the handle is to pull it **down** for the board to go down. Is it possible the square handle pin has been inserted incorrectly? This may be lead to the board not fully extending.
Peter McMinn

Postby Roger » Mon Oct 20, 2003 9:07 pm

I suspect that your problem is due to your square insert at the centerboard end of the lever has partially 'rounded' the matching hole that it fits into in the centerboard. More details are available on a search of this site, but the quick answer is to remove the cd and handle and rebuild the hole with epoxy so that the handle fits once again. If by real bad luck it is the brass lever that has worn, it will require a new lever. Check the D & R marine link on the daysailer home page to find and order from Rudy.
Roger

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 20, 2003 11:06 pm

Having a DS II, I don't have experience with the lever-operated CB on a DS, however the Widgeon that I used to have had the same CB lever. The CB would drop down about 2" or so with the lever all the way up (vertical), I didn't have a catch like some other boats did. The cause was that the square hole in the CB was slightly bigger than the square section of the handle. I tried shimming the hole, but finally gave up and lived with the slight play.

If the CB is slipping down if you let go of the lever, then the first fix is to tighten the 3 screws that hold the triangle plate to the CB trunk, compressing the gasket.

Rod Johnson (daysailermanual-at-juno.com)

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 22, 2003 8:04 am

I recently purchased a Spindrift DS1 and noticed right away the pawl wasn't engaging the notch in the handle. I disassembled it and ground a little off the end of the pawl. (very little) Now it works fine. Note...do not trailer the boat with the pawl engaged. This will cause the board to bounce, prematurely enlarging the square hole the handle goes through.

Roger Livingston (rnlivingston-at-tccsecure.com)

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 22, 2003 11:47 am

To Roger Livingston:
Since I have a Spindrift as well (1981), please tell me how the pawl is suppose to work. I am still a bit confused. It is used to lock the centerboard in the up position, correct? If so, when and how do you engage it correctly. Thanks.

David Riley (driley-at-ngc.edu)

Return to Day Sailer I Only