DS1 flotation tanks - yet another question

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Postby K.C. Walker » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:20 pm

I recently read an article written by an Albacore sailor. He was comparing a JY 15 to the Albacore's righting ability. He was pointing out that an Albacore with flotation near the midline instead of in the seats could be righted more easily and would not turn turtle as easily. With too much floatation in the seat tanks the boat sits too high in the water and has no choice but to turtle when capsized, as a JY 15 does. With floatation near the center line, the boat does come up full of water, but comes up easily because you don't have to leverage the boat over the floating sea tank. It makes sense, but I had never thought of that.

KC
K.C. Walker

Flotation

Postby Imgaryo1 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:05 am

You have seen the light grasshopper. I wish I could take credit for the idea but I cannot. I was reading an article about determining the right amount of flotation for your boat and voila...the light came on for me too , I understood and all was good.
Jaghen--Sail number 2551
Imgaryo1
President

Flotation Bags

Postby TJDSII6630 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:09 pm

Has anyone used these a flotation bags?

https://www.uline.com/BL_7710/Industrial-Dunnage-Bags

https://www.dunnagedirect.com/bison-pol ... e-air-bags

I'm getting about 20 from work that are about 4' x 6'.
I plan to remove the bladder from some and use the shell as a second layer of protection.
I recently removed all of the foam from my DSII as it was reduced to small lumps or water logged.
The seats are not sealed tanks but open to the lower bilge.
I plant to stuff noodles under the gunwale and in small crevises, leaving some skips so water can escape to the lower bilge.
Then I'll slip these bags in the seats, under the cuddy and deck and fill with air being mindful of final pressure.
I'll allow a bit for thermal, atmospheric and altitude expansion potential.

Bags are rated at 3 PSI so, if flat, could exert...wow! 10,000 lbs on its surroundings. If you try this, be careful!
If stuffed in a cavity the area will be reduced, but the force will still be significant.
TJDSII6630

Previous

Return to Repair and Improvement