Compasses

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Compasses

Postby talbot » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:39 pm

In a recent discussion about jib cleats, jdoorly posted a photo of his jib/UPS/compass console.
What do others have in advice on steering compasses? I've just used a hand compass on my DS. Is it worth it to:
Have lubber lines?
Have illumination?
Mount on bulkhead vs. CB trunk vs. elsewhere?

What brands do people favor?
talbot

Postby Kleanbore » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:20 pm

I mounted a Ritchie Tactician model XP-98W in the center of the cuddy top. I wanted to be able to quickly shift my gaze from the water to the compass and avoid looking down into the boat. This required a bit of work to fabricate a fiberglass mount for my DSII, but I am happy with the result.
The Ritchie Tactician has lubber lines which I find useful, and it will illuminate if you add the light kit.
The only negative I have found is the hinged mast will hit the compass if I miss the mast crutch.
Kerry Klingborg
74 O'Day DSII
Sail #7182
Kleanbore

Postby TIM WEBB » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:22 pm

Do you have any photos by chance?
TIM WEBB

Postby GreenLake » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:23 pm

So far, I've made do with a hand bearing compass. It's very useful to determine my position when I'm crossing a larger bay and would like to check on my progress. One time, this lead to what I call "dollar bill" navigation. I always have a laminated sheet with the relevant part of the local chart in the boat. So there we were in the middle of the bay, trying to figure out whether we were across the half-way mark yet, or not.

Somebody takes a few bearings, but we have no pens or rulers on board. So then somebody else pulls out three dollar bills, we line them up on the chart along the bearings in a "cocked hat" and presto, we know how far we have left to go. 8)

I haven't really had the need to steer by compass, but sometimes I strap it down onto one of the wooden thwarts, pointing forward, so I can check tacking angles. Works best with ample manpower on board - amazing how patient some kids can be calling out headings.

But, not the thing to use for racing.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby ChrisB » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:56 am

I also have a Davis hand bearing compass. They are more accurate for position determination than a fixed compass. I expect it will come in quite handy while sailing in unfamiliar waters in the Florida 120.
Chris B.
ChrisB

Postby jeadstx » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:59 pm

I originally mounted my compass on my cuddy hatch doors, but during the Texas 200. It worked good when I was single handing, but it was hit several times when sailing with crew. With crew I haven't found a good place in the cockpit to mount the compass. I've seen kleanbore's boat and I like how he mounted his compass. I may try mounting mine similar to his.

John
1976 Day Sailer II, #8075 - Completed the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Texas 200
1952 Beetle Boat Swan Catboat
Early Rhodes 19
1973 Mariner 2+2, #2607 - Completed 2014, 2015 and 2016 Texas 200
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
Fleet 135; Canyon Lake, Texas
jeadstx

Postby talbot » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:51 pm

What about mounting on the CB trunk just aft of the bulkhead? I have seen a DSI with that setup, and it seemed to me that was as out of the way as you can get in the cockpit. Plus, for those of us with battery wells in the cuddy, it puts the instrument close to lighting power, if you want an illuminated compass.

Not that I particularly want to wire a compass. Seems like every larger boat I've sailed on has one or more non-functioning instrument lights. There is a Silva steering compass, advertised in Europe, that has local battery lighting (i.e., AA, not 12v). I can't seem to find it in North America. Has anyone seen something like this in US or Canada?
talbot

Return to Repair and Improvement