My Gin Pole Project

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

My Gin Pole Project

Postby owldraco » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:43 am

Gin pole Mast Raising
Before I made the gin pole, raising the mast was a huge chore. It took a lot of strength from two able people, coordination and finesse. My mother, whose was my primary helper, is not as nimble as she used to be. My son isn't nearly strong enough. I have a deck flush tabernacle and the pins to hold the mast in once it's in place. I began to look at designing a block and tackle system to assist in the raising. But I quickly discovered that there was not a good angle for lifting, even with the rear mast support bipod thingy.
I had at home some long painted/ stained 2X4's left by the previous owner. From those I made the bigger stronger mast bipod thingy and the gin pole. I did not think that I could make an A Frame that would not slip when raising, and besides, those looked like they were more for bigger boats. A gin pole was simpler but ones I found used small “baby” stays to hold it in place laterally (so it didn't sway side to side.) I haven't yet figured out where to attach them.
I haven't found or rediscovered all my research, but I did find two websites that helped.
http://home.comcast.net/~catalina22fleet20/news/rpts/200603/200603.htm

http://piratefrank.com/?p=397

The pole fits between the mast and the front stay. The mast end has two extra layers of 2X4 bolted to in and it is carved to fit the cross section of the mast. The extra layers help to stabilize it while it is being setup and raised/ lowered. I use a ratchet strap to secure it to the mast. The other end has two eye bolts, one to attach to the jib halyard and one for the winch rope.
To raise the mast, I set my bipod in the rear cockpit well, and I slide the mast along that, trying to keep the lines and stays from snagging. Its relatively easy to get the rear pin in the holes, but once it is in, then I attach the gin pole to the mast. The jib halyard has to secured and usually has to be tightened after the winch rope is attached. My helper then does all of the raising, while I hold and support the mast to keep it from swaying or twisting. Once it's close to vertical, I slide in the front pin. After that, I attach the front stay and breath a sigh of relief. I don’t know if my stays are tensioned right or not, but I have to add tension to the winch to attach the front stay, then we can release the winch rope and take down the pole. Once the mast is up we load up the boat drive down to the boat ramp.
Lowering is just as tricky but in reverse. I am always afraid the mast is going to sway and twist something or hurt someone if it comes down wrong. But still, it is so much easier than it was before.
I'm sure it could be improved upon or simplified, but it works for now and was quite cheap. All I had to buy was some bolts.

Owldraco
Central KY
DS 2 “A.J.”

owldraco

Return to Repair and Improvement