Tiller Length for non OEM tiller

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Tiller Length for non OEM tiller

Postby tmittner » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:30 pm

Always wanting to take advantage of the experience of those who have gone before me, I have a question. I am in process of replacing a rudder assembly that the PO obtained a long long time ago. It was definitely not from a DS I or II. I need to cut my tiller to length. Using the OEM gudgeons as a reference point. How far forward should the tiller extend, and how far forward should the tiller extension/hiking stick attach. I know this is somewhat personal preference, but I suspect that the performance sailers on this forum have developed opinions over the years. I would greatly appreciate your wisdom. I looked at Rudy's replacement tiller online (48 inches) but I have no idea how far aft of the gudgeons it extends as I have no OEM rudder head for reference. My tiller will actually attach to a bracket forward of the gudgeons, but they make a good reference point.
Thank you in advance for your assistance,
Tom
DSII #8483 Old Fox
tmittner

Re: Tiller Length for non OEM tiller

Postby GreenLake » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:26 pm

Mine is longer than the 48". Means it's more in the way, but I can also do more w/o tiller extension. I think something like 54" (tiller not at hand).

The distance from tiller attachment to a line through the gudgeons is about 4.5" (spare rudder head in the workshop and not on the boat).

I think I'm using 48" for a tiller extension (adjustable, and usually not fully extended). The next shorter one (36" ??) proved too short.

Tiller length is a bit a matter of taste, longer works well for the times that you can sit in the boat (if you have the reach) and gives a bit better angle for the tiller extension. But it starts getting into the way a bit, so there's a limit to that game.

Best might be if you could do a test sail before you trim it to final length and finish it.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby tmittner » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:01 pm

Mine currently stretches about 50 inches forward of the gudgeons which is in ball park of yours. Good idea to start there and see how it goes.
Thanks,
Tom
DSII #8483 Old Fox
tmittner

Postby IslandFarmer » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:45 am

Can someone tell me how long the tiller is that D&R Marine is selling. That detail not included online.
http://www.drmarine.com/proddetail.asp?prod=DS132
I have the PO's homemade tiller on my rudder and want to see how it compares.
-Cindy
1983 DSII 12250
Stonington CT
IslandFarmer

Postby jalmeida51 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:24 pm

Bought a tiller from D&R two years ago it was 48inches.
jalmeida51

Postby IslandFarmer » Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:44 pm

Like this one?
dr132 Rudder & Tiller DS II & III.jpg
dr132 Rudder & Tiller DS II & III.jpg (16.73 KiB) Viewed 4864 times

Sorry, just want to be clear we're talking about the same thing. (Rudy is selling two different tillers.)
(Boat is in another state just now or I would measure my rudder and guesstimate.)
1983 DSII 12250
Stonington CT
IslandFarmer

Postby jalmeida51 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:09 pm

My tiller is for a Daysailer1 and ISN'T the same tiller you have.
John
jalmeida51

Postby GreenLake » Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:27 pm

IslandFarmer wrote:Can someone tell me how long the tiller is that D&R Marine is selling. That detail not included online.
http://www.drmarine.com/proddetail.asp?prod=DS132
I have the PO's homemade tiller on my rudder and want to see how it compares.
-Cindy

This particular question should be addressed to DR Marine. Rudy would be able to help you out, and, yes, you can reach him by phone.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby IslandFarmer » Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:45 am

Got it. Thanks. : )
1983 DSII 12250
Stonington CT
IslandFarmer

Return to Repair and Improvement