Day Sailers and old sailors

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: Day Sailers and old sailors

Postby K.C. Walker » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:23 pm

Obviously, the yacht prescription is a good one!

The DS is definitely an active sailor's boat as compared to a keelboat. I have wondered from time to time when I would have to draw the line for sailing this boat and move on. Fortunately, I don't think it's this year. I find that the speed of the planing hull to be almost addictive. Though, I'm sure I will get over it when the time comes to move on. It's better to be on the water!

It's not back support, but I have found that 1 inch minicell adhered to my side deck has greatly diminished my achy back… so much so that I am going to do the same to my seats. I find that if I have to spend a lot of time sitting in on my hard seats that my back does start to ache. I've got throwable cushions that I use to sit on and use as backrests, which helps when things are slow. However, I find them to be in the way if there's much of a breeze and I have to be switching sides much. I can't envision a stadium seat that wouldn't be in the way under those conditions. Even when I'm sitting in on the hard seats, I find that leaning on the cushioned side decks is way more comfortable, and something I would not have thought about. I haven't decided whether I will adhere foam to the inside of the backrest, but being that it would be lumbar support it might be helpful.

One option that I've been exploring and actually started a project boat is a sailing canoe. They sure can get into skinny water and they are easy to paddle. They can be reasonably comfortable with a backrest and even though you need to keep the sail area small, they can feel like they're moving quite nicely, partly because you are so close to the water. Switching sides is simply a matter of scooting your butt from side to side. There is always the option of outriggers for stability, as well. If you trailer them they're really easy to handle. Maybe his and hers outfits could be fun. If you watch Craigslist or even look around your neighborhood I would not be surprised if you find a free or certainly a cheap canoe. My neighbor gave me a fishing canoe that's very beamy (for a canoe).
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Previous

Return to Repair and Improvement