Deck plank grooves

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Deck plank grooves

Postby wfw0100 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:40 pm

I have an early Day Sailor, later 50s. I'm in the process of refurbishing her. She has the molded in grooves on the deck to simulate planking. Over the years she has had alot of rig changes and repairs, as these old boats tend to. With all the old patching and repairs, and the ones I am adding, there are a lot of places where the grooves have been smoothed over. Does any one have any experience with doing this repair? Particularly what tool would do this job.

Thanks for your time in reading this post
wfw0100

Re: Deck plank grooves

Postby GreenLake » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:04 pm

Welcome to the forum!

Your question implies that your interest is in restoring the pattern of grooves. If your goal is to return your boat to something very close to its original appearance, then, yes, you'd need something to cut a groove of the correct depth and diameter. I've not used one myself, but I would look into a Dremel tool with something like a "ball" grinder, if that exists. Or the same used in a drill. You would need to do something to make your tool cut in a straight line.

Alternatively, if museum quality isn't your goal, you could look at simply filling more of them; either all, or at least in some consistent pattern. That might be easier. I totally admit, I'm a bit biased towards function over appearance. I'm down to one piece of original hardware as far as blocks are concerned, for example. The last holdout is the main-sheet swivel - so far it appears quite functional, despite the fact that some would find it doubtful.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby wfw0100 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:24 am

Yes, my thoughts are to bring the deck grooves back to the original look. Cutting a straight line, with a uniform depth and width, is what has me scratching my head. Maybe i'll have an Aha moment or a flash in a dream. I'll keep on thinking and post any results I get.
wfw0100

Postby GreenLake » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:54 pm

Usually, one does that with a router. Don't know any router bits I would want to use for fiberglass, but perhaps it would be possible to fit one of those round (ball) grinding heads. The router would control depth (and therefore width) and if you can clamp on a guide, it would cut straight.

For clearing a short "interruption" from an existing groove, I would consider manual sanding. Just have to rig a sanding block with a suitable edge.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Wennykany » Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:59 am

GreenLake wrote:Usually, one does that with a router. Don't know any router bits I would want to use for fiberglass, but perhaps it would be possible to fit one of those round (ball) grinding heads. The router would control depth (and therefore width) and if you can clamp on a guide, it would cut straight.

For clearing a short "interruption" from an existing groove, I would consider manual sanding. Just have to rig a sanding block with a suitable edge.

I think you can head over this article:- https://theedgecutter.com/best-router-bits/. In this you can find ideal router bits which you might be looking. Also read How to Choose the Right router bit for your need and also Router Bit types
Wennykany

Postby GreenLake » Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:31 pm

I think the preceding shows all signs of being spam. Newly registered user making an endorsement of a commercial item, after dropping an empty "good job" post in another part of the forum - because most forums have automated software that kicks you out if you try to add a link to your first post. I could be wrong, but it seems to tick all the boxes.

(Most of you here, don't use bold type, so that one sticks out as well, identifying the poster as someone highly familiar with how to edit forum posts - as a spammer would).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Fly4rfun » Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:09 pm

when i have wanted to make small groves in wood, i used a router with a 1/8th or smaller beading bit. it also would be easier if you got a small laminate roe trim router. (harbor freight ) if you wont be using it much. lay down a guide board so you will get a straight line. I would practice on some scrap woof first, to determine depth of cut.
"Sail Aweigh" 1966 DS1 #2675
Fly4rfun

Return to Repair and Improvement