First boat 1908s DS2, got t a question about the motor

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

First boat 1908s DS2, got t a question about the motor

Postby zeroready » Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:45 pm

Hi all, hoping someone can help me diagnose a sound coming from my motor. The guy I bought my DS2 from threw in a 1976 Murcury 4.5hp. He said he hasn't run in about 6 years but it ran fine when he put it away. So I changed the gear oil and put in a new spark plug. Ordered a water pump repair kit which I will put in this weekend. I got the motor running by pouring a bit of gas into the cylinder a few times, and it eventually started up. Water is coming out the tell tale but I will probably put the new impeller in anyway.

So the motor sounds amazing at low idle. Purrs away without any sputtering or anything, no smoke, timing sounds good to me. However when increasing RPMs every so often, not regularly, there will be a loud clang. It sounds to me like if you knocked on the flywheel with a ball peen hammer. A sharp flat metallic clang. It goes into and out of gear just fine. I know it's a long shot but I've never had an outboard and with one this old I just wonder if some clangs are to be expected or if I need to get it looked at. I'm having a hard time finding someone nearby who will work on an old 4.5 hp, so I may be doing a lot myself.

If it would help I can try to upload a video of the motor running and see if the sound comes through. Thanks a lot!
zeroready

Re: First boat 1908s DS2, got t a question about the motor

Postby GreenLake » Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:26 pm

If you can upload a video to youtube or a similar site, and then link it here, I'm sure that would help anyone with experience to chime in (I'm an electric propulsion guy myself, so won't offer any input myself - even if I did once manage in my youth to resurrect an old two-stroke engine dragged from the bottom of a stream). However, I'm surprised that you can't find a competent mechanic.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby zeroready » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:19 pm

Thanks. I'm in key west, so though are lots and lots of boats here, the mechanic shops don't want to work on a 40 year old 4.5 hp outboard when they've got brand new 200 hp yamahas coming in. It seems like you either are expected to work on small motors yourself, or know someone who does. The Yamaha shop only works on yamahas, the other big mechanic only works on motors they sell you. West marine doesn't do repairs. My sailing coach gave me a guy's phone number but he doesn't answer. She said I'd be better off just learning to fix it myself.
zeroready

Postby GreenLake » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:40 pm

Yes, that looks like you are in a place that's particularly limited by supply and demand. Only suggestion I can give you in narrowing down your issue is to try to locate it better by the old mechanic's trick of using a screwdriver or metal bar held against the case and your ear like a stethoscope.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby zeroready » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:11 pm

Roger thanks i'll give it a shot. I'll get a video of the motor up tomorrow. can't believe i finally bought a sailboat and I'm stressing about the motor, but i'll be going out with wife and young kids so i really want to make sure the motor is as reliable as it can be.
zeroready

Return to Repair and Improvement