1973 DS Centerboard Lowering Line Attachment

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

1973 DS Centerboard Lowering Line Attachment

Postby madaniels022 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:14 pm

I recently purchased a 1973 DS and I'm working on repairing the centerboard lowering line. It has detached from the centerboard. The previous owner had it repaired however where the line was attached to is missing a square piece near the pivot location on the board.

Questions:
1. Is that the typical location where the line is installed
2. If it is, is there a location where I can purchase the missing piece
3. If it is not, is there a repair recommendation on on how to address the issue

I appreciate any guidance you can provide to this first time DS owner. I can't wait to get it on the water.
madaniels022

Re: 1973 DS Centerboard Lowering Line Attachment

Postby GreenLake » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:57 pm

The up and downhaul lines on a DS2 centerboard attach on (roughly) opposite positions on edge of the CB. Because the DS1 uses the same board but with a square pivot in a different location, some boards come with an extra square hole in the face of the board (not the edge) so that they can be used with either model of DS. If that hole (about 1" square, and all the way through) is what you think is "missing" then, no, it's intentional.

If you think there's something on the edge or near the edge of the board that is missing, could you describe it further?

My understanding of how those ropes are usually attached is that there's a hole drilled from the edge to a (circular) hole drilled from side to side. There's either a knot or something that prevents the downhaul from slipping out. There may also be a metal tang screwed to the edge of the board, but I think that was more common with wire downhauls. (Sorry, all of this is a bit second hand, I've sailed on a DS2 but never owned one).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Repair and Improvement