Void in Hull

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Void in Hull

Postby bilbo » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:40 am

I found what I think is a small void in the hull just below the waterline near the stem. I noticed a small crack and pressed on it and broke through what I assume was gelcoat and paint to discover a pea-sized void and bare FRP underneath. I was going to fill this in with epoxy, but had a question about UV resistance. Does epoxy just discolor or actually lose strength? I don't really care about appearances just want the hull to be sealed and stay that way.

There are also a lot of dings and scratches in the gelcoat. They all look fillable with gelcoat past from what I've seen; could I just pack this paste into the void as well after opening it up? Gelcoat paste should have no issues being exposed to UV correct?
bilbo

Re: Void in Hull

Postby GreenLake » Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:31 pm

The goto material for this kind of incidental repair is MarineTex, it's a white epoxy paste, and the pigment prevents UV from penetrating past the surface. Epoxy does disintegrate slowly when exposed to UV (or not so slowly if you are in a place like Texas). MarineTex is good to have around.

Now, you can of course fill any small void with gelcoat. Just be sure it's formulated to cure in air (with wax added) or be sure to tape over it until cured.

Do you keep your boat on the water? If so, small blisters below the waterline may be damage from osmosis - if so, this one won't be the only one. Usually not something we discuss here a lot, because if you keep your boat on top of a dock or on a trailer, there's not an issue with osmosis. You'll find plenty of discussion on "big boat" sites, though.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby bilbo » Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:47 pm

I did see discussions on osmosis when I was researching boats before buying this one. From what I've read, they push out from the surface a bit like a skin blister. This was flush with the rest of the hull and if it weren't for me poking around probably would not have been noticed. The boat hasn't been kept in the water as far as I've known but I suppose it could have been at some point in its near 50 years of existence I guess so it's something worth watching out for. Thank you for the tip, I will look for some Marine Tex to fill in the flaws for now. I was wondering, how thick is the gelcoat generally?
bilbo

Postby GreenLake » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:22 pm

Thicker than a typical paint layer, but you would have to look up "standard" values.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Repair and Improvement