Hull Finish and Refurbish

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Hull Finish and Refurbish

Postby snazzygenazzy » Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:33 pm

Hello all! First time post. I've read through many of the posts on this forum for an answer but was not successful in finding my answer.

My hull (above and below the waterline) has no damage, it's just old paint. It looks 'chalky'. I need to remove the oxidation and restore the shine. Light oxidation manifests itself as a slight dulling of the gelcoat. Moderate to heavy oxidation can be seen in gelcoat that has a chalk-like powder at the surface (see pictures)
Short of repainting the entire hull and short of waxing the hull, what can I do for a more aesthetically pleasing look?
Is there a clear product I can put on that will provide a 'cleaner' / more finished look?

The photos are here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
snazzygenazzy

Re: Hull Finish and Refurbish

Postby Fly4rfun » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:52 pm

you could polish it with a rubbing compound,you might start with a medium to fine grit . get a inexpensive hand held buffer from Harbor freight or a auto supply store,clean the buffing pad when you change polishing grits. possibly Lowe's or Home depot. once its shine is back waxing will maintain the shine. There is no easy magical way to restore the finish. ,
"Sail Aweigh" 1966 DS1 #2675
Fly4rfun

Re: Hull Finish and Refurbish

Postby GreenLake » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:35 pm

3M makes a "Rubbing compound" which would help cut away the oxidized layer. You can follow that up the their "Finess it", which will polish away the slightly dull surface created by the rubbing compound.

Next comes the question what to do with your nice surface. There are acrylic coatings (fundamentally not that different from the acrylic used in floor products like Mop&Glo) that will seal your hull for a season (and make it look really shiny). One of them was sold a "Nu Glass" or some name like that, but I'm pretty sure there are others. They should be a bit easier to apply than a wax, because they need no buffing, and last a bit longer.

If wax is your thing, go for Fleet Wax. (PS: don't wax any place you need to step on).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Repair and Improvement