Mast support for winter storage

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Mast support for winter storage

Postby SMichelsen » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:51 pm

This year my DSIII suffered a mangled and broken mast; the result of 70mph winds blowing through my sailing club. The boat toppled over while sitting on its trailer and presumably secured. I was lucky enough to find another DS mast in the pile of parts that the club maintains, and retrofit it to work with my DSIII. But then, I had this broken mast, and some leftover parts from the swap. What to do with it all? I took about 8" of the mast and reinstalled it on the base from the "donor mast, and created a stand to hold one end of the mast, while in winter hibernation or driving down the road. See the pic. It's a work in progress but doing the job, right now. The other end is currently resting on the transom, padded and tied down. Have a look...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8gmhw1hzxmna8 ... d.jpg?dl=0
SMichelsen

Re: Mast support for winter storage

Postby GreenLake » Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:04 pm

Here's the image as an attachment:
MastCrutchStub.jpg
Copied from the DropBox location
MastCrutchStub.jpg (59.1 KiB) Viewed 2647 times
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby GreenLake » Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:44 pm

I have a keel-stepped mast, but someone did the same thing, they took a mast stub (a bit longer to reach the floor) and put a U shaped support at the top. It supports the mast in the middle of the boat, which is a great addition to a transom and trailer tongue mast support.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Fly4rfun » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:45 pm

I'm going to do a modification of this idea on mine, will use box tubing since i don't have a old mast stub to use
"Sail Aweigh" 1966 DS1 #2675
Fly4rfun

Return to Repair and Improvement