Wood Beautification

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Wood Beautification

Postby Anstigmat » Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:13 pm

I've been reading a number of threads on the DS wood, but I can't quite get a concise feel for the restoration process. I have a number of questions...

1. I took out all the screws, but the wood on mine seems pretty well adhered to the hull. Is it worth cutting them off, or should I refinish in place?

2. Today I cleaned the wood with a wood cleaning product and a scotch bright pad. I seemed to get a bunch of dirt and scum out. What should the next step be? I could sand down, but with what grit level?

3. Oil vs Varnish? It seems like the wood on mine was oiled. It certainly does not have any sort of gloss. I've read though that mahogany does not take oil as well as other woods, so should I go with a varnish instead?

My basic understanding right now is that I would leave the wood in place. Sand with 180 paper, clean again, sand with 220 paper, clean, and then start applying coats of whatever product I choose to use.

Conversely, if I choose to oil the wood, my thought is that I clean again, sand with 220 paper, clean, then go to applying coats of oil.

I'm no expert here though so, I thought I'd check with y'all before I do much more.
Anstigmat

Re: Wood Beautification

Postby GreenLake » Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:30 pm

Unless some PO stuck the wood to the deck using 3M5200 or some other adhesive caulk, they should come off easily. Did you try using some sort of wedge to see whether you can pop them off? If adhesive caulk was used, you might see it in the seam.

If you refinish "in place" you'll have a harder time working on the wood and won't be able to protect the back side.

You have a choice of three styles of finish: oil, varnish over bare wood, varnish over epoxy seal.

These are ordered in the order of how long between maintenance coats, and in reverse order of how easy it is to totally refinish or touch up. All have advantages and disadvantages. E

To get old varnish off and get to bare wood you'd need 60-80 grit, lower if you don't appear to be making progress. (Then finish off with recommended grit for the product you are applying). If you think you have varnish, and it's no longer pristine, it all has to come off. If in really decent shape you may be able to get away with a maintenance coat, but not if its started to crack with dirt (and/or black rot) in the cracks.

If yours were oiled (and in good shape) you may not need to take things to bare wood (a much higher should be fine). If in poor shape, I'd take things back to bare wood even if your plan is to use oil. After that, if you stay on top of things, you may only need regular touch-ups (at least annually).

If you've found the old threads, there are some that go into things w/ much greater detail.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Anstigmat » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:22 pm

I think I'm getting a feel for what I have to do.

Still not sure about the removal process. I attempted to use a knife to cut through the adhesive/caulk and I had pretty mixed success.
Anstigmat

Postby GreenLake » Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:28 am

Piano wire (wrapped around wooden handles). That should work to cut any caulk. (Won't help if a PO epoxied these to the deck, you never know, but try the wire).

When reinstalling, don't use caulk, but closed-cell foam strips.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Repair and Improvement