Cam cleat repair/identification

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Cam cleat repair/identification

Postby boondox » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:31 pm

Can anyone of you guys identify this cleat? I'm new to my DS and need to replace (rather than repair) and would like to make sure I'm purchasing one the same size/similar model.
Attachments
IMG_5332.jpg
IMG_5332.jpg (42.81 KiB) Viewed 3632 times
boondox

Re: Cam cleat repair/identification

Postby tomodda » Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:51 pm

Does it swivel or is it fixed? My guess is an old Ronstan swivel cleat, but it's just a guess. Go to ebay, look up the likely suspects "Ronstan swivel cleat", "Schaefer swivel cleat", "Harken swivel cleat" etc, and see if you can find anything similar. You can do a google image search same way.
tomodda

Postby boondox » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:19 pm

tomodda wrote:Does it swivel or is it fixed? My guess is an old Ronstan swivel cleat, but it's just a guess. Go to ebay, look up the likely suspects "Ronstan swivel cleat", "Schaefer swivel cleat", "Harken swivel cleat" etc, and see if you can find anything similar. You can do a google image search same way.

Thank you for your feedback. It does swivel. I'm wondering if I can replace the cleat without having to replace the entire assembly, but i'll check it out on ebay.
boondox

Postby hsumralljr » Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:13 pm

If the fastener distance is 1.5 inches from center to center on the cleat itself (not the bracket attached to the hull) you should be able to replace the cleat with a Harken 150, or Ronstan Medium Cam Cleat. The cleat in your picture appears to be a Harken 150.
Herb Sumrall, Jr.
Baton Rouge, LA

DS1 #3235
DS1 #2844
hsumralljr

Postby lemsteraak » Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:23 am

I agree, Harken 150, Ronstans are more rounded.

Harken makes a kit to repair your cleat - https://www.harken.com/en/shop/cam-cleats-kits/150-cam-matic-cleat-rebuild-kit-1993-and-newer/

If your cams are plastic (the part with the teeth) then toss it. If they are aluminum, then it is worth rebuilding. They even have a video in the support section to show you how to do it. Not difficult. You may want to watch it first because the bearing may just be gummed up or a spring has sprung.

Rich
lemsteraak

Postby boondox » Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:15 pm

lemsteraak wrote:I agree, Harken 150, Ronstans are more rounded.

Harken makes a kit to repair your cleat - https://www.harken.com/en/shop/cam-cleats-kits/150-cam-matic-cleat-rebuild-kit-1993-and-newer/

If your cams are plastic (the part with the teeth) then toss it. If they are aluminum, then it is worth rebuilding. They even have a video in the support section to show you how to do it. Not difficult. You may want to watch it first because the bearing may just be gummed up or a spring has sprung.

Rich

Thanks again. It definitely seems as though the spring has dislodged, popped out. zero tension in either. They are the rubber teeth, so i'll check out new options.

Appreciate the help!

BD
boondox

Postby boondox » Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:28 pm

hsumralljr wrote:If the fastener distance is 1.5 inches from center to center on the cleat itself (not the bracket attached to the hull) you should be able to replace the cleat with a Harken 150, or Ronstan Medium Cam Cleat. The cleat in your picture appears to be a Harken 150.

Thank you for your response!
boondox

Return to Repair and Improvement