Bow eye backing

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Bow eye backing

Postby Beach4824 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:03 am

Last summer my bow eye became loose. Yesterday I decided to fix it. Cut a hole in the front of cuddy to access. Upon inspection found that the wood used as a backing had rotted. Any suggestions on which wood to use to replace it with. I have a bunch of cedar scraps from my neighbors H.S. shop class. Would Cedar be a good choice for its rot resistance?
Beach4824

Re: Bow eye backing

Postby tomodda » Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:12 pm

Cedar is fine, except it's not very hard. Would reccomend washers or even a backing plate between the nuts on your bow eye and the bare wood. If you want to avoid this job in future, then glass and epoxy the whole thing.
tomodda

Re: Bow eye backing

Postby GreenLake » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:13 am

Rot resistance is secondary when you seal wood with epoxy (just as long as you also seal any holes you drill!).

I could imaging a short length of not too thin walled aluminum angle stock would work well. Or even round. It's not much much harder to drill than wood.

Whatever is strong enough to distribute the load. The laminate is pretty strong at the bow, so you don't have to distribute the load too far.

Some boats have an angle iron (or other metal) that forms an L into which both the bow eye and the stem fitting get screwed to make sure the forestay can't lift the foredeck.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Repair and Improvement