New mainsheet block successfully installed

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

New mainsheet block successfully installed

Postby zeroready » Sun May 02, 2021 9:17 pm

I just ended up drilling new holes in the base plate to match the original holes in the hull. All the screws are firmly seated in the metal plate under the trunk. Took it out this weekend and it held strong in 12 mph winds. I'm glad I didn't end up having to fabricate an adapter. It's so much smoother than the old block, and I replaced the one attached to to boom as well. I had to splice a new main sheet into the boom block though, the new hardware only takes up to 1/8th inch line. I had a much thicker sheet in the old hardware. Not a big deal but it does feel different with a thinner sheet. All in all a great upgrade and thanks to everyone that gave me advice!

Edit - Not 1/8 line, more like 1/2 inch. Sorry my mind was elsewhere. But my last mainsheet was closer to 3/8, so the new one is quite a bit smaller.

Last edited by zeroready on Sun May 02, 2021 11:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
zeroready

Re: New mainsheet block successfully installed

Postby GreenLake » Sun May 02, 2021 10:52 pm

Looks good. but literally 1/8"??
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby zeroready » Sun May 02, 2021 11:09 pm

GreenLake wrote:Looks good. but literally 1/8"??

Yeah anything bigger won't go through the new block on the boom, and is really difficult to get through the main sheet block.

I'm sorry sorry it's not 1/8. Closer to 1/2. Made a mistake there.
zeroready

Postby GreenLake » Mon May 03, 2021 4:57 am

I think I use 3/8 or something metric close to that. Either 9mm or 10mm. That's not bad for mainsheet.

Previous owner put 7/16". That was crazy - and isn't needed if you know to rig a ratchet block.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Repair and Improvement