I'm finally making progress reducing leaks into the bilge!

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

I'm finally making progress reducing leaks into the bilge!

Postby zeroready » Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:16 am

So after replacing the cockpit drain tube https://forum.daysailer.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6502, and getting that to stop leaking, I went to town on all rest of the hardware that would be below the waterline. I pulled out the sump drain assembly put a new washer in and coated with sealant. I pulled out the bottom gudgeon and sealed the screw holes, as well as the traveler ring screws and sealed those as well. I took it out for a couple hours after all that and when I got home and tilted the boat the drain the bilge, only a few cupfulls of water came out. As opposed to the gallons and gallons she used to make. This has been a major source of frustration. I thought that I must have messed up the centerboard cable fix, assuming that's where all the water was still coming in. I didn't realize how much could get in just through leaky screw holes.

So the transom wood is pretty waterlogged and rotted, you can see the pictures in the post I linked above. It's probably been soaking wet for years and never able to dry out fully. Pretty much everything that has a screw going through the transom turned out to probably feeding the bilge.

Anyway it's so nice to not be leaking like sieve anymore. Thought I was just going to have to live with it.
zeroready

Re: I'm finally making progress reducing leaks into the bilg

Postby ArchSail » Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:31 am

I’m sure you’re feeling tremendous relief. I bought a Sept 1974 DSII a few weeks ago and the previous owner warned me to expect a decent amount of bilge water. Made me a bit nervous. He also described how he flushed the original floatation material and replaced it with cans of spray foam. Hopefully this was legit foam and not a concoction he whipped up in the garage - there was a strong madscientist vibe about him. Rain and other obligations have prevented me from seeing the problem for myself. However, I’ve had some time for cleaning and inspection on the trailer. On first review, I suspect the centerboard and trunk need serious attention but your experience has encouraged me to look closely at the hardware running through the transom. Thank you for all the detailed posts about your restoration/maintenance endeavors. They are very informative.
ArchSail

Re: I'm finally making progress reducing leaks into the bilg

Postby GreenLake » Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:16 pm

We've had a DSII owner who cut off his transom so he could replace the rotted wood. Radical, and not for everyone.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Repair and Improvement