Installing hiking straps in a DS2

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Installing hiking straps in a DS2

Postby Vanalien » Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:00 pm

I acquired a set of hiking straps a couple of years ago, and am now considering installing them in my DS2. There are 3 padded straps, each about 3 feet long with a grommet at each end; one strap for each side of the centerboard trunk, and one to go aft from the centerboard trunk to the stern.

I’m wondering how to best attach them with minimal alteration of the boat. At the stern I attached an eye strap to the ends of two of the rudder grudge in bolts. At the fore end of the cockpit, I’ll try running a line out of the cuddly through the cuddly drain holes. What I am unsure about is what to attach to in the middle of the cockpit, just aft of the trunk. I’m thinking of installing a D-ring on the floor, probably with a rivet because there isn’t a way to get to the underside of the cockpit floor short of installing an inspection port there, and I’d like to avoid that.

Does any one here have hiking straps in their DS2 or DS3? How are they attached? Are the cuddy drain holes too high off the floor? Is the floor too thick just aft of the trunk to put a rivet through?
Steve
"Nellie Ruth" - 1985 DS2 Anniversary Edition #12819
Little Canada, MN
Vanalien

Re: Installing hiking straps in a DS2

Postby GreenLake » Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:07 am

First, I'm not a DS2 owner, but have sailed on some and sailed on boats w/ hiking straps installed to a cockpit molding, although not a DS,

First, rivets: they come in a variety of lengths, so you can (and should) pick the correct length. I would definitely not use them where they are loaded in tension (lengthwise pull). The transom of the DS2 is a sandwich, so best not to drill new holes there. If you can utilize the bolts from the rudder gudgeons, that sounds like t would work, if they are in a good position (that is, help elevate the straps a bit).

Alternatively, you could rivet them into the cockpit floor so that the rivet is loaded on "shear". (Use closed rivets, to keep the floor sealed). You can then use a bungee to try to lift the straps off the floor. That would not be loaded very much, so you can glue something to hold a small eyestrap at the most suitable position on the transom (again, no need to drill).

For the forward end, you don't need to worry about drilling into the cuddy bulkhead. I would do that rather than letting myself be constrained by the drain holes.

The hiking strap setup that I'm familiar with had two sections of strap for each side, with three loops of string. The idea was that the loops were adjustable in length. If I remember correctly, the middle one, connecting the straps for crew and skipper on that side, also went through a small eyestrap on the floor. (in an X pattern, with the cross-over in the eye). That way each strap was a bit independent and also wouldn't pull up as far away from the floor as with a continuous hiking strap.

Wish I had pictures of that boat to double check my memory.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby jcbartel » Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:29 am

Vanalien -
I have a DSII and it had hiking straps once. Probably rotted but the attachement points are still on the boat. I am attaching pictures. I use the stern rings for the lifting bridle now. They are through the transom and show no signs of leaking, etc. Forward eyestraps are thru-bolted to the bulkhead. Not sure you need a mid-ship fastening point. Other owners may chime in.

Chris Bartel
Attachments
Daysailer Transom Rings.jpg
Daysailer Transom Rings.jpg (36.81 KiB) Viewed 2794 times
Daysailer Bulkhead.jpg
Daysailer Bulkhead.jpg (31.78 KiB) Viewed 2794 times
jcbartel

Postby GreenLake » Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:12 pm

Nice to have the pix, Chris. With pads raised, like this, make sure there's something in your straps that allows them to give when stepped on. Perhaps have slack that just allows them to go flat, but have a bungee as part of the system to take out that slack, so they are off the floor when you are trying to get your feet under...
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Champlaner » Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:33 am

My boat used to have straps in a similar setup as Chris' had. Maybe I should try some because I mostly single hand and sit on or just outside the rail when it's windy. My butt and upper thighs gets sore from the rail digging in, though the rail is great for keeping you from falling back in the boat when a gust dies. I wonder if straps would allow me to put more weight on the flat part outside the rail? Not so sure.

Maybe I'll cut out 2 feet of rail amidships and replace it with rubber! After reinforcing the massive loss of structural strength the rail provides, of course.
'77 DSII #8420
Champlaner

Postby GreenLake » Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:25 pm

There are several older posts here of people making foam cushions for sitting on the rail. The trick is to find a way to attach them. Perhaps some of the wide eyestraps for webbing. I've tried just blocks of closed-cell foam and those don't need a cover if not left out in the sun. Workable, but not something I really need, myself, so I never worked out a permanent solution.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Repair and Improvement