Where/how to install mounting points for hiking straps

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Where/how to install mounting points for hiking straps

Postby marcusg » Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:58 pm

I want to either buy or make a few sets of hiking straps for my 17' Daysailer clone. My setup is a little different than the usual daysailer, so, while I can obviously through-mount hardware for the hiking straps on the transom, since I have no cuddy lip on my model (it might look like a lip on the picture but it's actually a ledge to an elevated cuddy shelf, with no access from behind) -- I'm guessing I need to epoxy/glass hardware somewhere forward for mounting the straps. And, since transom to cuddy is a long span, having some middle mount to split the strap in two, or at least loop it through, maybe on the centerboard trunk? In general, I'm also just unsure of how tight/how close to centerline hiking straps should be. Here's my boat for reference.

boat from elevated (Small).jpg
boat from elevated (Small).jpg (27.58 KiB) Viewed 1844 times
marcusg

Re: Where/how to install mounting points for hiking straps

Postby GreenLake » Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:28 pm

Interesting question. I don't have straps on my DS, but I've owned other boats with them. One was a 15' dinghy that had one middle mount on the floor between skipper and crew and one set of mounts on transom and forward bulkhead. Those were elevated a bit that you could reach under the straps.

The 4 straps were webbing with a sown loop at each end. In front and rear, each strap was tied with a loop of string to the eyestrap fastener. In the middle, the string was configured in a figure 8 with the waist of the 8 criss-crossing inside the eye strap on the floor.

There may have been an additional bit of bungee to keep some tension on them but to yield if stepped on or under load. Location was far enough from the seats so that it was easy to get your feet under. The total length would allow the actual position to be further away from the seat edge as crew would swing up their legs.

That part can obviously dialed in by fine tuning the length of the strings.

Now, if you don't want to run the straps fully forward, you'll probably need to pull them up instead of relying on an elevated mount.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Re: Where/how to install mounting points for hiking straps

Postby Chetcosailing » Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:30 pm

My Daysailer’s hiking straps are attached at an eye pad inside transom, and another on the keel between the centerboard trunk and the mast step, one continuous seat belt web strap for both sides. To keep the span of the strap where you can hook your feet, it’s suspended by features under the thwart boards, and a small loop of line under the lazarette. In my picture the loop has dropped from its anchor point under the lazarette.
Attachments
624D4817-1D94-4E3B-8F59-5F2D57C77887.jpeg
624D4817-1D94-4E3B-8F59-5F2D57C77887.jpeg (124.12 KiB) Viewed 1640 times
0772098D-2909-4CF1-B059-8A01EA2227E1.jpeg
0772098D-2909-4CF1-B059-8A01EA2227E1.jpeg (93.37 KiB) Viewed 1640 times
Chetcosailing

Return to Repair and Improvement