Daysailer 2 tabernacle rigging.

Moderator: GreenLake

Daysailer 2 tabernacle rigging.

Postby Car14 » Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:56 am

Hello,
I have inherited what I think is a daysailer 2 with almost no information about it. It has no Hull ID or builders plaque. I believe it is a daysailer 2 because it has the false floor and cable and pulley control for the centerboard. It came with a mast that I was told was a through the deck mounting instead of for the tabernacle. It measured 24’ 9 inches. I used technical drawings I could find to cut it down. So the spreaders measured 7’ 8” off the cabin top deck and their attachment to the mast is 15’ 3”. My problem is the shrouds it came with are to short and it appears the fore stay is as well. I am wondering if anyone has a length measurement for the shrouds and fore stay or any other help would be appreciated.

Car14
Car14

Re: Daysailer 2 tabernacle rigging.

Postby tomodda » Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:19 pm

Call Rudy. Dnrmarine.com
tomodda

Postby GreenLake » Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:22 pm

Welcome to the forum.

The relevant measurement, or height of the spreader attachment above deck, is supposed to be 15'3" under class rules. See diagram 7.1 in the Bylaws. If that's what you have now as distance above the cuddy deck, then it's a mystery why your current shrouds and forestay are too short.

However, you can contact DR Marine and order a new set, which should then fit. If you want to make extra sure, you can step your mast and measure the actual distance between hounds and chainplates or stemhead fitting, respectively. And you could verify that against the actual length of the stays as sold by DR Marine. If in doubt, give them a call.

PS: if your current shrouds are too short you'll need to figure out something to keep your mast up while you do the measurement.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Car14 » Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:47 pm

Thanks for the replies. The diagram 7.1 in the bylaws is the drawing I went off of. I can’t find anywhere that lists a length of the stays. I will contact DR marine.

Thanks
Car14
Car14

Postby GreenLake » Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:15 pm

To get from the height above the deck to length of stays you would need to accurately measure the location of your chainplates wrt the mast partners. That's a tough challenge, so contacting the expert (and purveyor of replacements) is clearly the best approach.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Rigging