"Topping-lift"

Moderator: GreenLake

"Topping-lift"

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 20, 1999 12:00 am

I was tired of letting my boom drop into my boat when dropping the main, so I made some inquiries and had help designing a "topping-lift". A simple thing which supports the aft of the boom so that it doesn't FALL UNCONTROLLABLY into the boat. Nothing more than a line from the top of the mast to the aft of the boom which is slightly slack when the sail is fully up. when the sail is full, the line is even slacker so as not to interfere with performance. When you drop the sail.. the "Lift" becomes taught and supports the boom.

Jeff Piersons (Lakeleach-at-clarityconnect.com)

Postby Guest » Sat Sep 11, 1999 12:00 am

Is your topping lift SS cable or rope? How does it attach to the mast and boom?

Bob Beard (rbeard-at-earthlink.net)

Postby Guest » Thu Nov 11, 1999 1:00 am

I just added a topping lift to my DSII. It is the best modification I have made. I bought a harken bullet cheek block and mounted it on the side of the mast almost at the top. This requires drilling two small holes and using pop rivets to attach it. I ran 3/16 line through the block and attached it to the end of the boom with a snap. The other end secures at the bottom of the mast. I leave it hooked up. When the sails are raised the line is slack enough that it does not cause any problems.

Mike Hastings (hastinml-at-co.forsyth.nc.us)

Postby Guest » Sat Apr 22, 2000 12:00 am

I'd like to install a topping-lift on my boat and was hoping I could get some more details from the experts.
I'm following-up on a message posted by Mike Hastings
on 11/11/99 who wrote:

"I just added a topping lift to my DSII. I bought a harken bullet cheek block and mounted it on the side of the mast almost at the top. This requires drilling two small holes and using pop rivets to attach it. I ran 3/16 line through the block and attached it to the end of the boom with a snap. The other end secures at the bottom of the mast. I leave it hooked up. When the sails are raised the line is slack enough that it does not cause any problems."

Question 1: Are pop rivets available at most marine dealers? I assume that there's a special tool for closing the rivets. Any estimate on the cost?

Question 2: Mike suggested attaching the topping lift to the end of the boom with a "snap". Can someone clarify what a snap is and/or suggest alternate methods?

Question 3: What's the distance from the back of the boom up to the top of the mast and down to the point where the mast meets the cuddy?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Mark Miller
Boston, MA

Mark Miller (miller.mark-at-boston.va.gov)

Postby Guest » Sun Apr 23, 2000 12:00 am

Pop rivets and the tool can be bought at any Home Depot or Lowes probably for under $20. I have had one for many years. The snap is just a chrome plated snap purchased at Lowes like you would use on a dog leash. It will eventually rust but hasn't in a year. I would get about 50' of line and cut off what you don't need. I think it is about 21' up the mast to the top and probably about 24' back down to the end of the boom. I also got the line at Lowes.

Mike Hastings (hastingsml-at-aol.com)

Return to Rigging