Boom Crutch vs. Toppinglift

Moderator: GreenLake

Boom Crutch vs. Toppinglift

Postby jblumsden » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:32 am

Does anyone have photographs or a description of boom crutch configurations they have used for the DS2? Through previous experience, I would prefer a crutch over a toppinglift due to the wear on the leech of the sail from the wire or cordage flopping around over the leech while sailing OR have folks rigged a toppinglift to be detached from the boom and cleated to the mast (or elsewhere) while the sails are up?

Also, what is the consensus opinion of the quality of new sails from Sail Warehouse? Thanks to all for your valued advice. jbl
jblumsden

Re: Boom Crutch vs. Toppinglift

Postby GreenLake » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:22 pm

Moving this to rigging.

If you use Dyneema (e.g. Amsteel rope) your topping lift could be very light (3mm would be enough). As Amsteel is very slippery, I can't imagine it would do serious damage to your leech. But you mention prior experience. Was that on a DS? What type of rope was used for the topping lift? However, if you are worried, what would be the problem of terminating it in snapshackle and taking it to the mast when not needed? On larger boats I can see whey topping lift would be adjustable from the mast or even from the cockpit, for the DS that seems total overkill to me, so I would go for some sliding knot to adjust the length.

There are several threads on topping lifts here on the forum and they discuss a variety of approaches.

A rigid crutch is awkward in that you need to stow it when not in use. I would think that avoiding clutter should be a prime concern.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby jeadstx » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:47 am

I agree with Greenlake that the boom crutch might get in the way. I have a 3/32" wire running down from the masthead to a small block. A line runs from the end of the boom to the block and back down to a cleat on the boom creating an adjustable topping lift. I've used it about 8 years and haven't noticed damage to the leech. Greenlake is right the Am Steel would work well and probably be even less abrasive.

John
1976 Day Sailer II, #8075 - Completed the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Texas 200
1952 Beetle Boat Swan Catboat
Early Rhodes 19
1973 Mariner 2+2, #2607 - Completed 2014, 2015 and 2016 Texas 200
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
Fleet 135; Canyon Lake, Texas
jeadstx

Postby jeadstx » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:51 am

Forgot to mention that I added a tang to the top of the masthead to attach the topping lift to. Gets it a little further away from the sail.

John
1976 Day Sailer II, #8075 - Completed the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Texas 200
1952 Beetle Boat Swan Catboat
Early Rhodes 19
1973 Mariner 2+2, #2607 - Completed 2014, 2015 and 2016 Texas 200
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
Fleet 135; Canyon Lake, Texas
jeadstx

Postby ldeikis » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:21 am

I have 1/8" parachute cord from an eye at the top of the mast to the end of the boom, tied w/ an anchor bend to a little clasp like this:

It clips to the end of the boom.

I didn't buy that exact one, but you get the idea. I made the line a little longer than I needed and experimented to get it so it holds the boom as high as is practical without impacting the sail shape, then tied it off at that length. Honestly I never unclasp it except when removing the boom to derig the boat (it's moored), but it's very easy to do so if you wanted. I have noticed no wear on the sail but this is my first season with the boat. I can't imagine dealing with a boom flopping around when the sail isn't rigged yet, or at the end of the day, or out on the water in an emergency when you've had to douse the main for some reason...

As Greenlake said, there's several threads on this: The two common options are a "scissor" type affair or a leg that fits into the rudder gudgeons. Unless you're dropping the mast to motor under bridges or something I'd think a topping lift, adjustable or not, would be much less hassle.

Luke
'74 DSII sailing Haverstraw Bay and the lower Hudson River
ldeikis

Postby K.C. Walker » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:13 pm

I've used the same 1/8 inch polyester cord that Luke mentioned. I've had the same cord on the boat for I would guess 6+ years with no problems. I bought a replacement cord about three years ago as a backup. I was afraid that UV or the weight of my boom tent would break it. So far it's great and I can't tell that it stretches enough to worry about. Mine has the off position which is just tied through the base of a cleat and the on position which is just a loop I pull down and hook over the bottom of the horn on the cleat. In the off position the boom still can't hit the aft deck and in the on position it's just right for my boom tent. I definitely cannot detect any wear from the topping lift.
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby TIM WEBB » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:01 pm

TRW's TL is 1000 lb Spectra, with a long finger trap at the lower end. It can be adjusted high enough to hold up the boom tent and low enough to be just slack with the main raised, both fully and when reefed. It's attached to an eyestrap on top of the masthead, and snap shackled to a quick link in the aft hole of the boom end cap. 10 years with it on there, and I haven't seen any leech wear from it. It just kinda sits there on one side or the other of the main until it's needed. For trailering I clip it to an eye near the base of the mast. Clipping it there while sailing would kinda defeat it's purpose ...
Tim Webb
1979 DS2 10099 The Red Witch
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Postby ldeikis » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:30 am

Noticed an interesting ad in the back of Small Craft Advisor that was relevant and figured I'd share.

Boomkicker
From the manufacturer:
"Boomkickers are the simple affordable solution to support the boom and eliminate the topping lift for sailboats 14 to 38 feet. Each Boomkicker uses 2 coated fiberglass spring rods to support the boom. Pulling the boom down causes the Boomkicker to flex upward, releasing straightens the Boomkicker lifting the boom. Universal fittings for the mast and boom are included."
http://www.boomkicker.com/index.html

Who knew? Either $90 or $150 depending on whether you round your LOA up or down. To me, not worth it, but a cool alternative to cumbersome crutches if someone was really opposed to a topping lift.

Luke
'74 DSII sailing Haverstraw Bay and the lower Hudson River
ldeikis

Postby TIM WEBB » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:59 am

I've never used one of these myself, but the founder of the West Coast Trailer Sailer Squadron bought a Compac Suncat that had one on it. He had nothing but trouble with it, something about the end always jamming in the track I think, and he's removed it altogether. Not much need for it anyway since the boat also has one of those wooden arch spar support thingies on the stern:

nomadparked.jpg
nomadparked.jpg (129.4 KiB) Viewed 8732 times
Tim Webb
1979 DS2 10099 The Red Witch
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Return to Rigging