Jib car Assembly

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: Jib car Assembly

Postby GreenLake » Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:44 pm

Looks like you have a plan. When faced with the same issue, I disliked the design of the standard track and went instead with Harken's small boat track. More expensive, but what can I say, I liked the feel and looks of it. I'm sure, in actual use, what mostly matters is how you configure the cars on it. And from your other post I take it you are intending to go for a similar solution.

One note, the Harken cars can be disassembled so a block can be added without using an additional shackle. I didn't know that when I bought them, because originally, I wanted to use the blocks they came with. But it made upgrading to ratchet blocks super easy.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby IslandFarmer » Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:23 pm

Thanks, GL. I noticed on other posts that you said you have Harken tracks, so if I can't make the base of the jib car I already have work with a new fancy block, then I will take your suggestion and order up Harken's small boat track and their basic car https://www.harken.com/en/shop/dinghy-jib-leads/16-mm-pinstop-car-eyestrap/. The car specs say to use with track 453 of which there are five variations! I'll deal with that on a need-to-know basis. : )

I see what you mean about being able to remove the eye / bail so as to attach a block directly. Nice.
1983 DSII 12250
Stonington CT
IslandFarmer

Postby GreenLake » Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:22 pm

Good luck. Best to avoid an extra shackle in this application. I mean it would work, but I hate having extra moving parts - they always do something unexpected when you can least afford it. .... (don't ask :) ).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Previous

Return to Rigging