Mast leans to port... there's your problem

Moderator: GreenLake

Mast leans to port... there's your problem

Postby fatjackdurham » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:27 pm

I put the mast up for the first time today and found the mast lean to port sharply. Then I noticed the shroud straps....

IMG_0944.JPG
IMG_0944.JPG (174.03 KiB) Viewed 6996 times

I am really starting to wonder about this boat. Btw, how high above the cuddly deck is your mast opening? Mine is about three feet up. I fixed it though.
fatjackdurham

Re: Mast leans to port... there's your problem

Postby TIM WEBB » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:01 pm

Now there's something you don't see every day! Is there evidence of holes where one (or the other or both) of the tangs may have been previously, and possibly pulled out?
Tim Webb
1979 DS2 10099 The Red Witch
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Postby GreenLake » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:18 am

fatjackdurham wrote: Btw, how high above the cuddly deck is your mast opening? Mine is about three feet up. I fixed it though.

What do you mean by "mast opening"? Do you mean the place where the sail is fed into the sail slot? Mine is less than a foot above where the boom stop is. And the boom is about a foot above the deck. Something like that.

And what do you mean you 'fixed' it?

PS: we do wonder about your boat as well. :)
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby fatjackdurham » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:30 pm

Yes, the opening where you feed the sail.

Since this boat shows so many signs of serious damage that was repaired, I am guessing she had some kind of accident. I don't think this is the original mast. In fact, I am pretty sure the boat was salvaged, or cobbled together. It reminds me of the boats we had at summer camp. So many had collected over the years, parts, masts, booms came and went. Each year we put them together until we had enough to have sailing class.

I fixed it by drilling out the rivets and re riveting the strap on lower down. I used stainless 3/16th rivets and it was all I could do to pop them.
fatjackdurham

Postby GreenLake » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:20 am

Stainless rivets really need a beefier tool....

If you don't want to race the boat in a DSA sanctioned race then it being a bit of a "Frankenboat" would not matter, as long as it sails well.

The local lake has an open race and people bring all sorts of "mix&match" boats with their own modifications, all done with second hand parts and third hand sails, at times.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby fatjackdurham » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:16 am

Ha! "Frankenboat" was almost what I named her!!!!
fatjackdurham

Postby TIM WEBB » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:54 pm

This is a photo of a skydiving plane that used to fly in FL. Cobbled together from three other Twin Otters that had crash damage. Hey, if it's good enough for a plane, why not a boat? <grin>

Later on she got a "proper" paint job ...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3541/349 ... f349_o.jpg
Tim Webb
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Postby Shagbark » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:20 pm

I use to skydive with a pilot that suffered from narcolepsy. Not sure which one I would be more afraid to fly with, a pilot who falls asleep or a pieced together twin otter? Good thing we don't land with either.
Shagbark

Postby TIM WEBB » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:27 pm

No we don't! Not usually anyway. I think that Otter was based at Cross Keys in NJ, but flew in FL during the winter. I was in Deland for 22 years.
Tim Webb
TIM WEBB

Return to Rigging