Roller furling and general genoa questions

Moderator: GreenLake

Roller furling and general genoa questions

Postby 109jb » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:04 pm

So I'm working on getting my new to me DS II ready and was checking out my front sail today. It is obviously a genoa, since it is huge. It has hanks for hanking onto the forestay, but looking at it, instead of a luff rope, it has a steel cable about 1/8" in diameter sewn in with cable eyes at each end. It appears that it was added to the sail because the sail also has the eyelets at the corners. Does this sound like this sail is set up for roller furling? If so, what do I need to set it up for roller furling?

Next is where the sheets for the genoa should run. I gather they run outside the side stays but do they then go to the normal jib blocks, or do they run to the blocks further aft on top of the gunnel?
109jb

Re: Roller furling and general genoa questions

Postby 109jb » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:26 pm

Some additional information. I laid the sail on the grass and measured it. The foot of the sail is 10.5 ft, so based on the 7 ft standard jib, I guess I have a 150% Genoa if that helps. Here are a few pictures
109jb

Postby hsumralljr » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:42 pm

The luff wire you see in the jib is part of normal headsail construction, and not necessarily added for roller furling. The wire is designed to take load of the halyard instead of just stretching the dacron sail itself.
Herb Sumrall, Jr.
Baton Rouge, LA

DS1 #3235
DS1 #2844
hsumralljr

Postby GreenLake » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:42 pm

What Herb said.

Also, the wire may not be as much of afterthought as you think. You will find a lashing between each pair of eye / wire thimble. That lashing controls the stretch of the fabric when the wire is taught. It can be adjusted in principle.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby 109jb » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:11 pm

10-4. How about the sheet routing for the big genoa?
109jb

Postby GreenLake » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:03 am

Sheet routing, that's an interesting question.

I'd think that you would need to lead the sheets outside the stays, otherwise you'd be unable to set if for reaching.

You'd want a bit of a track so you can adjust the ratio between leech and foot tension by moving the fairlead. The forward most fairlead position would probably not be forward of the clew. At least I can't think of a scenario right now. I have no idea how far back from there you might need the aftmost fairlead position. Perhaps it's a simple question of scaling the length of the jib track by 150%.

It would seem to me that if you use this genoa in place of the standard jib that you could route the sheets from their fairleads forwad to the jib fairleads and use the cleats for the jib. That would be most convenient for your crew.

All of this is off the top of my head, so don't take my word for it.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Rigging