Using a tabernacle at a slip

Moderator: GreenLake

Using a tabernacle at a slip

Postby Shagbark » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:29 pm

I have a DSII and would like to put it in a slip this summer. According to DR Marine, you shouldn't moor with a tabernacle, which my boat has. Does anyone know why you shouldn't moor with a tabernacle and does that rule also apply to keeping a DS on a slip?
Shagbark

Re: Using a tabernacle at a slip

Postby tomodda » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:43 pm

I imagine it has to do with the tabernacle plate getting loosened. But why don't you call/write to Rudy and ask him?
tomodda

Re: Using a tabernacle at a slip

Postby jalmeida51 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:00 pm

I keep my daysailer1 at a dock which is very protected from the wind and chop. It is a 1981 built by Rebel and in the owners manual it says do not moor the boat. Moor do they mean a mooring and a dock? I don't know? I replaced my shrouds and forestay to 1/8 with turnbuckles. With the mast down I noticed the tabernacle bolts loose pulling through the cord deck where there was some rot. Repaired the rot. Had a local boat yard make a stainless steel plate to back up the tabernacle bolts. Before the bolts were backed up with small washers. Why anyone in their right minds use small washers I don't know? If you dock your boat I would upgrade to 1/8 with turnbuckles and check your tabernacle bolts for tightness.
jalmeida51

Return to Rigging