Internal Halyards

Moderator: GreenLake

Internal Halyards

Postby RobH912 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:55 am

So when # 2444 hull was being restored, an older (gold anodized) Proctor mast was obtained from a wrecked DS and that mast was also restored and it replaced the original 2444' mast. Restoration consisted of sanding & painting the mast, new upper and lower main & jib halyard sheaves, new main & jib halyards, and new top of the cuddy / deck sheaves and cam cleats to secure the two halyards.

While the mast still does have a an upper sheave for a spinnaker halyard the boat was not rigged for spinnaker use.

Attached are some pictures of how main & jib halyards are rigged.

Mast is still on top of the boat on its carrier, but my inspections from a ladder don't seem to find an exit sheave / hole for the spinnaker halyard. Where would that be if I have one?

If there is not an existing dedicated exit for the spinnaker halyard, what have folks done? Trying not to drill additional holes in a mast (never a great idea).

Depending upon where the spinnaker halyard exits, I will then need to figure out how & where to cleat it.

Any thoughts and pictures are always appreciated.
Attachments
IMG_1737.jpg
IMG_1737.jpg (90.03 KiB) Viewed 4548 times
IMG_1738.jpg
IMG_1738.jpg (62.74 KiB) Viewed 4548 times
Rob

DS1 #2444
Cape Cod
Eastham, MA
RobH912

Re: Internal Halyards

Postby GreenLake » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:16 pm

Rob, I've split off this post, because it is specific to internal halyards and not everyone has them.

Looking at your photos, I wish you had one showing the upper spinnaker and jib sheaves.

I noticed that the two sheaves at the bottom of your mast appear to not be exactly identical and have been wondering whether that signifies something. For example, are these masts factory configured for internal halyards or was it an upgrade (or option)? There seems space for a third exit sheave - there's that flat spot that extends above the other two. Perhaps all it takes is to cut a slot and add one.

As that location seems intended for the purpose, I wouldn't be as worried about the weakening effect of cutting an opening there. It's also near the end, so the loads should be different from some spot in the middle of the mast.

Unexplained are: the small slot and the gray area to the starboard side of the bottom of the mast: damage?

Another thing I noticed is your vang. As positioned, I can't imagine how you would be able to release it.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Re: Internal Halyards

Postby RobH912 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:37 am

GL - Sounds like a good idea to split my post of spinnaker halyards to be internal halyards.

GL / All - The Nor'Easter is now past and I got out to take some more pictures.

I've attached pictures of the upper exit points / sheaves for jib and spinnaker halyards. Looks like during the mast restoration both job and main sheaves were replaced but not the spinnaker's.

Yes I too was thinking that a third sheave could be added at the base. I know that the mast was restored, but the previous owner has passed and I do not know the extent of the work, nor what the
small slot and the gray area to the starboard side of the bottom of the mast: damage?
are all about.

I am taking the boat / mast to a boat yard tomorrow to have their Rigger look at the mast, mast repair, and to look at all of the spinnaker rigging that we are talking about. I will be storing the boat there this winter and would like them to do the rigging work. Hoping that he says third sheave at the bottom will be fine.

Then to be consistent, should I bring the spinnaker halyard back up and out similar to main and jib halyards are treated? Picture attached of current set up. I think it will look a little crowded up their with three cam cleats and the older horn cleats. Has anyone ever used a "power clutch device". I first saw them on a larger racing boat a couple of weeks back and it worked great. Something like this? https://www.westmarine.com/buy/spinlock ... a--1881077. I'd look to see if there is any better pricing. Looks clean and would be very functional.

I'll do a separate reply on the vang as I have pictures of it to post.
Attachments
IMG_1898.jpg
IMG_1898.jpg (86.37 KiB) Viewed 4514 times
IMG_1899.jpg
IMG_1899.jpg (76.07 KiB) Viewed 4514 times
IMG_1738.jpg
IMG_1738.jpg (62.74 KiB) Viewed 4514 times
Rob

DS1 #2444
Cape Cod
Eastham, MA
RobH912