Wiring shrouds to spreader end

Moderator: GreenLake

Wiring shrouds to spreader end

Postby samdivita66 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:52 am

Hello!
My first post on the DaySailer.org Forum! During our last sail of our newly acquired 1965 DaySailer I, one of the spreader bars broke off. I've just received two new heavy duty alum. spreader bars and wire. I'm wondering if my wrapping/attaching was not correct to cause the break (I had re-wired them due to damaged wire). I thought I had followed the original while using photos to guide me, but something happened. Does the shroud wire need to be able to move through the wiring? Or, should the wire that I attach be tight to prevent movement? I noticed this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fb76xB8lVdk

Can anyone advise on this important step?

Thanks,
Sam
samdivita66

Re: Wiring shrouds to spreader end

Postby GreenLake » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:11 pm

Sam, welcome to the forum.

First, a bit of house keeping. I'll move this thread to the "Rigging" section, because it's equally applicable to all types of DaySailer, and of general interest.

The wiring always serves the purpose of keeping the shroud attached to the spreader, but it can also serve the purpose of fixing the location of the spreader on the shroud. If your spreaders are the kind that have an extra-beefy bracket that firmly holds the spreader horizontal, I would allow some play. Otherwise,the spreader, if placed where it should be when the shrouds are tight, would be under some tension when the shrouds are slack, and the upper portion between the tang on the mast ("hounds") and the spreader in no longer stretched.

However, if you have the old-style spreader brackets that are simply a pin through the spreader tube, and which allow a bit of wiggle around the horizontal position, I would recommend locking the spreader end in place. That style of spreader is easily damaged if you catch it on anything while the mast is in storage or being raised. Fixing it to the shroud means any push downward is resisted by the shroud (and as long as you cinch the lower ends of the shrouds to the mast, there's some protection in the other direction as well).

After breaking the same spreader twice (!) within a week, I changed that one so the place where it attaches to the mast is jury-rigged in a way that allows it to swing up and down 10-15°. However, it is firmly wired in place, using a technique different from the one shown on the video. First, it seems to me that the wire I used was stiffer. I started out as shown, but wrapped each end firmly around the shroud (using pliers) five or six times, clipped the end, and using pliers made the end lie flush with the last winding.

Whichever technique you use, make sure to wrap the connection in self-amalgamating (rigger's) tape, unless you have a rubber or plastic spreader boot. Your sails will thank you.

On my boat, the wiring is just tight enough to firmly hold the spreader, but can be adjusted (after the main has been raised) with a vigorous shove from below with a paddle (pushing at the spreader directly where it meets the shroud). The last time some adjustment was necessary was over 20 trips ago. . . .
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby samdivita66 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:27 pm

Thank you for your thorough response. I think I have a better sense of this now. The spreaders do attach with simple pin/bolt and so it seems likely that the break may have been caused by the shrouds not adjusted properly (there was noticeable slack as we sailed on the port side, the side that broke). I am sharing a couple of photos attached to this reply. Perhaps you wouldn't mind commenting on what type of spreader brackets I have...and then subsequently how tightly I should attach the spreader to the shroud by wire. Thank you! Sam
Attachments
spreader.shroud.jpg
spreader.shroud.jpg (26.59 KiB) Viewed 6322 times
spreader.mast.jpg
spreader.mast.jpg (28.11 KiB) Viewed 6322 times
samdivita66

Postby GreenLake » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:27 pm

Sam, I think I can make out that you have the brackets that extend a bit from the mast (and in principle would allow for the hole for pin to not be as close to the end, which would give more support). I can't really tell from your pictures but it looks like the difference to what I have is more a matter of degree: the hole is still almost at the end. (BTW, you should be able to upload somewhat higher resolution, even with the limits that the forum software imposes).

If there's about 1/2"-1" wiggle at the tips, you could go with the wired in place. But even so, be careful when you store or raise the mast to not pull or push at the spreader ends along the direction of the mast. That's how they break - it's not when they are properly rigged and in use.

You'll have researched that, but the location of the spreader ends, normally would be such that it bisects the shallow angle made by the shroud. Positioned like that, the spreader would be held in place by geometry and no up/down force experienced at its tip. If the brackets force a more horizontal position, that would be OK, but then the wiring would need to take any residual up/down loads. You definitely don't want to have them drooping, because that would change the geometry to where the tension on the shroud would tend to want to force the spreader further down.

All in all, the spreaders are designed to be loaded in pure compression and if you strain them in other directions they tend to fail and break.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby samdivita66 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:22 pm

Thanks again for your detailed response. I will consider all of this learning as I work with my spreaders. I appreciate that you took time to be thorough here.

Sam
samdivita66

Postby Rush » Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:44 am

Hello, all,

I am following on this thread with my own example and questions. I have just purchased a 1982 Spindrift DS1 that was missing spreaders. I ordered and installed the heavy duty replacements from D&R. My read from previous discussion is that I have brackets that will help with up-down strength - the bracket sandwiches the spreader for several inches. The one on the right in the picture, positioned in the bracket, has 1” or maybe 1 1/2” of up-down play. It still swings freely with the clevis as a pivot point, which appears intentional - maybe so that it can flex with the conditions? Otherwise I would expect another hole in the spreader for another clevis for the innermost hole in the bracket.

My question is, at what point (when) would I wire the spreader ends to the shrouds? Unless I learn otherwise, I plan to step the mast following the YouTube examples I’ve seen, being careful with the not-yet-wired spreaders. Once up, tension the cables and work the spreaders horizontal and in line between spreader bracket and the plate on the deck. Then once everything is in place, add the SS wire while the mast is up, add tape once it’s down. That way the spreader is wired to the cable at the right spot along the length and with the angles in a “neutral” position. Thoughts or suggestions from those of you with experience?

Rush
Attachments
540F7031-3F65-42C2-B24D-7CA7DFE7E493.jpeg
540F7031-3F65-42C2-B24D-7CA7DFE7E493.jpeg (155.44 KiB) Viewed 4935 times
0F01D358-6C89-4416-90E3-C55B6E8BB19D.jpeg
0F01D358-6C89-4416-90E3-C55B6E8BB19D.jpeg (90.99 KiB) Viewed 4935 times
Rush

Return to Rigging