Stay Question

Moderator: GreenLake

Stay Question

Postby Papajoe » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:04 am

So I took my new boat out for a shakedown yesterday. Had a great time. At first there was very little wind. After about an hour the wind came out of nowhere all at once. I was really moving then. making a wake and getting bow splash. The wind was off the port and I noticed that the starboard stay had slack in it. I only had the mainsail up. I this normal?
Papajoe

Re: Stay Question

Postby GreenLake » Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:12 pm

Some slack in the leeward shroud is normal.

Somebody wrote here, a long time ago, that the rig should be tensioned until you can pluck an "F" on the stays. I'm not musical enough for that method, but I do set up for the point where plucking on the stays seems to produce more of a note than a rattle, with an extra turn or two of my mast jack on windier days. I did have a friend bring a Loos gauge and we tried for the recommended value. It was more in line with what I use on the windier days.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby tomodda » Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:14 pm

Perfectly normal. As solid as it looks, the mast is basically a big metal noodle. Pick it up horizontally from the midpoint one day and you'll see. I'd guesstimate that the masthead falls off to leeward about a foot when you're hard pressed on a reach. It's especially bendy above the hounds. Anyway, just make sure you have something (usual a wire wrap) to keep the stays secure on your spreader tips.

Upgrading to 1/8 inch stays and heavy duty spreaders from D&R Marine is well worth it, IMHO. Peace of mind... Spreader boots are nice too, though not really needed (the jib never overlaps the spreader tips).
tomodda

Postby GreenLake » Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:26 pm

Spreader boots are needed to protect the main when running.

Instead of boots, a few wraps with self-amalgamating tape (riggers tape) does the trick (that's what I use).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Papajoe » Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:03 pm

Thank you for all the help in this matter.
Papajoe

Return to Rigging