Spreader boots?

Moderator: GreenLake

Spreader boots?

Postby Papajoe » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:03 pm

I ordered the rubber spreader boots from D & R Marine, and I received them today. Has anyone used these and if so, how did you anchor them? I thought about tape.
Papajoe

Re: Spreader boots?

Postby tomodda » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:33 pm

Either tape (electrical is good) or zip cable ties. I'm all about belt and suspenders, so I use both. Zip tie the boots, clip off the loose bits, and then yellow electrical tape over it all to keep it all neat. I've had to undo it all once, just cut it carefully with box cutters.
tomodda

Postby GreenLake » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:16 pm

Why not simply use rigging tape then? (shakes head).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby tomodda » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:25 am

Me = cheap. I have plenty of electrical supplies, so I use it. But rigging tape is fine, no reason to overthink this.
tomodda

Postby GreenLake » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:35 am

No, I meant, if you have to use tape/ties to secure the boots, why not skip them and use rigging tape. Does the same job without having to purchase a dedicated part.

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/incom-r ... ite-re3867

I love and use electrical tape for many things, but the self-amalgamating nature of rigging tape is just right for certain jobs. And it leaves no sticky residue and doesn't rub off like other tapes. I think a roll lasts me a decade, so not that expensive.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby GreenLake » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:41 am

I use zip ties and electrical tape on my spreaders, too - but on the other end. Oh, and hose clamps.

I found that you can make a great jury rig replacement when your spreader bracket pin pulls out of the spreader end. Two/three tails from zip ties form a U around the end of the spreader, holding it against the pin. Hose clamps, hold those plastic strips to the spreader and electrical tape provides UV protection. The jury rigged joint can move in 3D which makes it less prone to damage during mast raising, while not affecting performance (spreaders are loaded on compression, once the rig is under tension, the joint isn't needed). My last jury rig has been up for a decade or so, got tired of replacing the spreaders just because they pulled off the bracket pin.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Papajoe » Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:52 am

Thank you all.
Papajoe

Return to Rigging