Vang mount distance from mast

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: Vang mount distance from mast

Postby Acornrunner » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:05 pm

Fly4rfun wrote:John,
thank you for the info, also what ratio do you get with that setup, (not good at math).(learning disability) :cry: do you have a photo?

You are not alone

I am good at math, and I'm struggling to understand vangs, attachment points, and nomenclature. This stuff apparently is not easy.
Acornrunner

Postby Fly4rfun » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:55 pm

Thanks guys for your reply's and information/education. In thinking about it and what Tom said about the V groove being difficult, I think the best way is to save my pennies. sell the vang that i have now and look for used , eBay, blocks. I did make a purchase of 4 or 5 blocks of eBay a while back. the season is about over here, going to go out tomorrow probably will be the last time this season. I appreciate the guiding,
GL I appreciate the consideration of my Budget. I have some things I need to sell to down size. but i do want to do this right. I do enjoy a challenge. Tom the photo you posted helped me visualize the way it needs to go. what would a 16:1 look like Ie, what block where ?
Last edited by Fly4rfun on Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Sail Aweigh" 1966 DS1 #2675
Fly4rfun

Postby Fly4rfun » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:09 pm

Acornrunner, glad I'm not alone. More of a visual hands on person.
Fly4rfun

Postby GreenLake » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:48 pm

Acornrunner wrote:
Fly4rfun wrote:John,
thank you for the info, also what ratio do you get with that setup, (not good at math).(learning disability) :cry: do you have a photo?

You are not alone

I am good at math, and I'm struggling to understand vangs, attachment points, and nomenclature. This stuff apparently is not easy.

It's the fun thing with the DS that rigging was never controlled by the class association, so all boats are (potentially) different and there's been scope, even for people racing, to put your own stamp on things. What's needed seems to be not so much number skills but the ability to visualize what things will look like as well as the forces that are likely to come into play. Made more challenging if it is for something (like a vang) that you haven't used before and therefore lack the experience of what feels correct.

I've taken things very slowly myself, wanting to make sure I understand how any addition fits into the way I'm sailing, before committing to it. Sometimes that meant, I'd jury rig something. I'll never forget the day we were beating home through somewhat stronger winds than planned and I just had to jury rig some Barber inhauls to see if they would help us get back sooner.

You guys are just starting out with your boats.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Fly4rfun » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:01 pm

I agree about starting slow, just taking in info. think i have it.or at least getting the basics. you have a triple block (3) plus a double block (2) equals 5, the first cascade (x2) makes it 10, and the second cascade (x 2 ) gets you to 20:1.

about 13 years ago I started to learn to swing dance (hopefully to save the marriage) I hatted it. I had 3 left feet, was very frustrating to me, i persevered about a year after starting the person i was dancing with (for one dance towards the end of the evening) told me it was the best dance of the night for her. Now I'm not saying i was expert level, but had gotten the basics down so i could lead a pleasurable dance for my partner. (no the marriage did not last) I don't give up easy, and try to learn all i can, try to use all the resources available to me to gain the understanding i need. and did they get you in sooner?
Fly4rfun

Postby Fly4rfun » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:09 pm

Did a mock up today of the vang set up, defiantly see the issue with using the fiddle blocks. so will look for some double blocks, one should be a double with becket and cleat correct
1-IMG_2506-001.JPG
1-IMG_2506-001.JPG (135.37 KiB) Viewed 8788 times

also I have all the lines going to one hoop below the tabernacle. should i add another hoop above the tabernacle for the cascade blocks. It would go just below the cheek block.
1-IMG_2510-001.JPG
1-IMG_2510-001.JPG (144.68 KiB) Viewed 8788 times

GL fixed the photos
Last edited by Fly4rfun on Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:22 am, edited 4 times in total.
Fly4rfun

Postby GreenLake » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:51 pm

Not sure what happened to your images. You don't need to reduce them that much, and it's hard to see what you are trying to show.

Mine go to the same U bail.

Eventually, you'll want to re-string a purchase w/o an integral cleat and set it up so the free end exits at the bottom. After that, you either cleat it on the top of the cuddy (at the edge) or you can drill a hole, run it down to the mast and lead it to the CB trunk and some cleat there. (This last option can be the final stage, when your skills have gotten to the point where you can work the vang dynamically -- initially, you might just change it for wind conditions and point of sail, not for every gust. But except for some trials, you'll get tired pretty quick with a vang that you need to pull towards the front of the boat to cleat and release).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Fly4rfun » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:39 am

GL

thanks, this was to help me get my mind around it. going to use double blocks.

Now how do I make the photos correct size, these were at 256. bur original were larger . (canon 70D) point me to the info on doing that please. also unable to find how to do a posting in the gallery
Fly4rfun

Postby GreenLake » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:25 am

I like the screwdriver!

(thanks for fixing the images).

Looks like you would have the length to use your existing blocks, but the problem is the cleat. If you look at photos of my setup you'll see that I had to turn the vang "upside down" so to speak, because of a built-in cleat that couldn't be operated if it was near the mast. (Couldn't get the angle). Otherwise, it's a very nice cleat. Some makers have the angle adjustable - I looked carefully at mine and didn't see a way.

The current setup puts the vang in easy enough reach for me to adjust it infrequently (not for every gust). As long as that suits me, I'll keep this setup. But in the back of my mind, there's the idea that eventually, I may have to lead the vang back to a cleat near where the mainsheet is cleated, so both can be operated in concert. When I'm ready for that, I hope I'll also have a better idea of precisely what the details of such a solution should look like in order to deliver.

That's why I suggested you might like an interim solution where the free end of the vang exits at the bottom and is lead to a cam cleat on / near the edge of the cuddy. If you leave the tail long enough you should be able to reach it from a single-handed sailing position. Upgrading that later to where you lead the tail down the mast, forward along the floor, etc. doesn't affect the rest of the setup much, except that you'd be "abandoning" one cleat. (Most likely you'll find something else to use it with).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby GreenLake » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:36 am

Fly4rfun wrote:...Now how do I make the photos correct size, these were at 256. bur original were larger . (canon 70D) point me to the info on doing that please. also unable to find how to do a posting in the gallery

I assume you wrote this before you figured out how to fix the attachment to your earlier post. The way you have the images there is fine now. (At least when I view them).

For the gallery, there's a limit in both file size and pixel dimensions. It should say so when you try to upload a new image.

I use a cheap photo editor or free image resizer (have both) to do the work: setting jpg quality to "medium" or about 60-70% gives you the desired file size, while you have to set the pixel dimensions to within the limits for the gallery.

Maximum dimensions:
File size: 500 KiB
Image width: 1280
Image height: 1024

Allowed filetypes:
jpg, gif, png

In some editors you may have change the "document" or "image" size to get the pixel dimensions, in others you can select the size when you export an image. An image resizer will focus on that aspect and give you a value to select.

Sometimes, if you mail an image to yourself, your mail software will offer to reduce images for you. One of the settings may well fit inside the above limits.

My recommendation for gallery use is to use it for images that you feel you'll want to refer to again and again from different posts. (Each album only has a limited number). Like an archive; I prefer attachments for things that are "of the moment" like images of damage, etc.. We didn't use to have the ability to attach images directly in the past, so some of that stuff sits in my gallery.

Now, once you put something into your gallery and use it in a post, please don't delete the image, because then we have a broken post. (Same for images you may have linked from photo sharing sites).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Fly4rfun » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:35 pm

understood.

its what i grabbed out of my tool box, was a torks screwdriver. figured since it was temporary, for illustration purposes only. it would work. raining right now. :cry: not ready to sail in the rain
Fly4rfun

Postby GreenLake » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:00 pm

Flyr4fun wrote:not ready to sail in the rain

Rain, who talks about rain:
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby GreenLake » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:03 pm

Seriously, though, the downside about sailing in the rain is the need to then dry your sails.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Fly4rfun » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:03 pm

Looks cold, do you leave your boat in the water during the summer, as you don't live far from it.. it drizzled here, no wind, went out and looked, disappointing, but oh well
Fly4rfun

Postby GreenLake » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:19 pm

It was actually a great day on the water, that day. We enjoyed it so much, we sailed on to a restaurant with a dock and tied up for a late lunch. As we were leaving, flurries started to come down and by the time we reached the launch it was winter. The trick with being on the water is to dress warmly and to keep dry. If you manage both, then you'll be super comfy in all sorts of conditions. Sailing a DS you won't have waves breaking over your cockpit, so it's never all that extreme. But because the risk of capsizing, once the water turns cold, one of the layers will be a wetsuit (until I graduate to a drysuit).

Rain will drive the wind away - so the rule of thumb. Once the front passes, and you have steady rain, there may not be much wind. But I've sailed often enough in conditions where rain combined with enough wind to keep moving.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

PreviousNext

Return to Rigging