DS1 Shroud Question

Moderator: GreenLake

DS1 Shroud Question

Postby Anstigmat » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:40 pm

My DS1 has the pin mast step, which as I'm sure you know you use to tension the rigging with a spanner wrench.

My question is, lets say I rig up the DS1 with the intension of leaving it on a mooring all of sailing season. After that first sail, how often should I re-tension the rig? Every time? Never? I usually tension until it's tight, but I try not to push it to avoid damaging the chainplates.

What is the general rule of thumb on this thing?
Anstigmat

Re: DS1 Shroud Question

Postby tomodda » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:24 pm

I'm still really dubious about leaving a tabernacle-hinged mast out on a mooring, but GL can chime in here. And you swapped out for a solid mast, right? Then you're probably OK.

As for your question of when to retune the rig, that's up to you. I tune my shrouds "by sound," in other words I give them a pluck (like a guitar string) and if they make a nice low tone, then I'm happy. Low E on the guitar, somewhere around there... Twaaaaaaang. So, if it were me, I'd just give my shrouds a pluck before each session and if they sound good, I'd raise sail. If not, I'd go give the jackscrew a turn or two and try again.

Or you can just ignore my crazy ideas and buy a Loos Gauge (may I borrow it? Please?).

Fair winds!

Tom
tomodda

Postby hsumralljr » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:03 am

First get a Loos Gauge, it will allow you to create an easily repeatable setting for your rig. Secondly, I would check the rig tension each sailing to see if there's any changes in rig tension due to bouncing around on the mooring, I'm not adequately familiar with the mast step screw setup to know how stable they are at maintaining a fixed setting. If everything looks good after repeated checks prior to each sail, then it would be reasonable to check less frequently.

I really like using the Loos, as it's virtually instant, and doesn't require me to pluck a stay with the same exact force every time, which for me would be very hit, or miss... more miss. They're not cheap, but worth every penny. I'd also get a tuning guide from one of the sailmakers like North, which publishes theirs online. This will give you some ideas as to creating the initial baseline for your boats rig.
Herb Sumrall, Jr.
Baton Rouge, LA

DS1 #3235
DS1 #2844
hsumralljr

Postby tomodda » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:52 am

100% agree with Loos Gauge if you are competitively racing. Otherwise....
tomodda

Postby Anstigmat » Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:46 pm

No tabernacle for me. My mast is keel stepped through the Cuddy.

I think I'll start with just checking by hand, I'm not racing. Just want to make sure my set up is rigid.
Anstigmat

Postby GreenLake » Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:34 pm

I tension my keel stepped mast every time I raise it. Which is for every trip. I did the Loos gauge thing ones when the stays were new and noted the number of turns on the mast jack. I tend to stay below that by 1-1/2 turns. My way of gauging rig tension is to "strum" the shrouds and watch the point it goes from "rattle" to sounding a "note" of some reasonably defined (if very low) pitch. In high winds, I go 1 to two turns beyond that for a stiffer rig.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Baysailer » Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:52 pm

I also have the mast jack setup and fixed length stays with no adjusters. It works well and like greenlakes I usually adjust after raising with occasional checks. For tension set I use the following process; I stand on the deck place one hand next to the shroud about shoulder height and pull on it with the other hand. I set it to 4 fingers of deflection, 3 if the wind is stronger. You only need to do one side, the other side will follow. You can get more precise when your on the water using the tuning guides. Note, I don't race but this has worked for me well.
Baysailer

Return to Rigging