Main halyard as temporary topping lift?

Moderator: GreenLake

Main halyard as temporary topping lift?

Postby VTDS2 » Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:07 pm

Is it crazy to use the main halyard as a topping lift on my DSII when the mainsail is flaked on the boom?
This would mostly be during launching and retrieving (I trailer) and occasional stops to swim.

If that's a bad idea, are there any other slick methods to keep the boom up and the mainsail out of the way that don't involve a boom crutch?
VTDS2

Re: Main halyard as temporary topping lift?

Postby jalmeida51 » Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:39 pm

No it's not crazy, many people use their main halyard as a topping lift. I use a topping lift that attaches about a foot below the masthead, run down to a check block attached to the end of the boom then to a jam cleat ( V cleat ) mid way on the boom. It helps me reef the main when single handing the boat. It's just a matter of personnel preference.
John
jalmeida51

Re: Main halyard as temporary topping lift?

Postby GreenLake » Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:24 pm

What John writes. Do what suits you. Here's my way:

If docked for some time, I drop the sail, take the halyard off and move it to the boom, level the boom, roll the sail and lash it to the boom. I can roll the sail by myself more easily than I could flake it. My favorite lashing looks like this - it does not require to pull through the entire remaining length of the rope.

It starts on the left with a simple loop held by some slip knot.

Then I grab a short length, make a bight (a U) and pull it around and under itself.

After that I repeat, but the next bight goes through the first.

At the end, I tie up with some other slip knot.

To undo, you pull the two slip knots and then you can simply pull off the rope, the lashing will unravel as you pull.

It's not as secure as pulling through the entire line for each wrap, but I'm not securing my boat for a hurricane and for a temporary lashing time saved is what matters.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Rigging